Jandy sweep elbow?

Tapio

Aug 17, 2015
San Diego, CA
Of the many things I found while planning my pump install was the Jandy sweep elbow designed to provide less hydraulic friction in an elbow. I liked the idea first but when I realized they recommend a transition cement (ABC-PVC) for it I lost interest. This sweep elbow must be made of ABS (or CPVC I read elsewhere). I rather keep everything to good old PVC.

Anyway what do you guys think of this elbow?

Of the many things I found while planning my pump install was the Jandy sweep elbow designed to provide less hydraulic friction in an elbow. I liked the idea first but when I realized they recommend a transition cement (ABC-PVC) for it I lost interest. This sweep elbow must be made of ABS (or CPVC I read elsewhere). I rather keep everything to good old PVC.

Anyway what do you guys think of this elbow?
Why not just use a regular SCH40 PVC Sweep?
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=97739&catid=726

Dom

You could use sweeps but they are not commonly available in the 2" or 2.5" size unless you order online and they are 2x the cost of a regular elbow. I don't think it is necessary to worry about the extra loss associated with regular elbows as most people likely have somewhat oversized pumps for their pools in general. You might consider two 45s in place of a single 90.

Mas985 is our hydraulics guy but he will confirm that the friction loss in a regular 90 is small enough not to pay it any attention. In short, use standard 90's.........the head loss is almost inconsequential.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.