My skimmer is not sucking in any water

Hey all, I am new around here and in need of some layman's term help. My skimmer is not sucking any water, thus not bringing any water to the filter and then pump. This kind of started out of nowhere on Tuesday and now I am going on 2 full days without running my filter or getting any chemicals into my water. The water level was high and a friend told us that we needed an Oxygen source...there wasn't one because the water was higher than the top of the skimmer, so we got rid of some water and tried to get the pump to catch a suction and no luck. We thought there might be a blockage but it doesn't seem like that is the problem either. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help or recommendations!
Stacy

Inground Pool
18 feet x 36 feet pool
Hayward Earth Filter EC65A
Depth of pool goes from 4 feet to 8 feet
PA

Is there water in the pump basket area? I bet there isn't. You probably need to prime the pump.

Another thing that just occurred to me... Pull the skimmer basket out and check that the hole in the bottom of the pot is not blocked.

Welcome to TFP!

Always add bleach daily and brush your pool to mix it if you have any pump, filter or other issues. That way you don't have a plumbing issue and a swamp!

+1 on priming the pump. Stick a hose in the pump strainer basket until it overflows, put the lid kn and start the pump. Let us know what happens.

I'm just going to toss out an random thougt or two-

The correct level for pool water is important to the skimmer function. The right level is midway to the skimmer frame, so that there is always water above the pipe and the water doesn't cavitate, but not higher than halfway so that water isn't moving.

Did the valve to the skimmer get turned off by accident?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.