High CYA

Sep 10, 2015
NC
Moderator Note - Moved from here: High CYA did a water dump next steps to keep it down? - Page 2

I too have a similar issue with high CYA. It's been around 100-115 all season. Had kept FC at 2 and high on the 4 end (or so I thought it was high until I saw the chart). Just recovered (hopefully) from a yellow algae outbreak. It wasn't noticeable to most people so hopefully I caught it early enough that I killed all of it. Water was clearer today than it had been in over a week and no sign of algae when brushing.

Back to the CYA... Draining 30% appears to be the best option. Since I will be closing the pool soon, should I drain now and leave it at 70%, drain and refill, or do nothing until next season? The pool will be covered and I have already purchased a winterize kit.

(Not hi-jacking the thread - just tagging alone since we are both in the same situation.)

If you can drain now and adjust your CYA from 100+ down to about 70, I think that would be a good idea. If nothing else, just to ensure you know exactly how much bleach to use for your final winter-prep SLAM when you close for the season. Otherwise, you would just be guessing.

Some people in the area drain their water level below the returns. Will that be a bad idea to drain it that low and keep it over the winter?

Vinyl in-ground pool.

PS - Working on getting the signature setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.