MA in Shallow-End Return?? Help..

Sep 10, 2015
NC
I've read enough post that I now feel confident to use MA in my vinyl pool. Then the question came to my mind... is it OK to pour MA into the return stream if both of my returns are in the shallow end?

Currently, the return stream I would pour it into runs parallel with my wall. Should I adjust the return so that it is pushing water towards the center of the pool while pouring?

(I have been using 'PH Down' from Lowe's but at $9/5lb and with a constant high PH, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.)

1st year as a pool owner. :)

I have an aboveground pool and pour the MA in front of my return. I pour it very slowly and then follow up with a good brushing in that area to make sure it is not sitting anywhere and gets mixed in good. I have no problems doing this.

Kim

When I need to put MA in the pool, I try to get Skippy to do the pouring (slowly, in narrow trickle) as I'm brushing.
It doesn't have to be a two person job, but it makes me feel more confident we're avoiding risks.

I fill up a 5-gallon bucket about 2/3 -3/4 with pool water and slowly pour in the MA. I then walk around the pool dumping it in reaching out as far into the pool as I can.

Sometimes I'll stand on the diving board and just distribute it there in a sweeping path. Since this is the deep end, the MA falls into quite a bit of water.

Very slowly, in front of a return is my preferred method. I don't like mixing MA with anything before putting it in the pool. Less handling and pouring is better. I don't use goggles, just my eyeglasses or sunglasses. Wind preferably at my back so the fumes don't come back at me while pouring.

I decided to do this last night. Based on pool calculator, I need to add 59oz (half gallon). I was pouring very slowly for what felt like a long time and thought "that feels half the weight so I'm done". THen I brushed the pool.

After that, I thought "how much did I pour". Looked at it in the light and only 1/4 of the bottle had been poured. Then I realized this is how accidents happen. You do it right the first time and no accident and then it is easy to think "I do not need all of this PPE" and you get in a rush.

Looking forward to testing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually use very thick green water bottles. They are 17 oz. each (somewhere around there). I usually purchase 2 gallons of MA at a time and fill each bottle with 10 oz. and close the cap. I have worked with MA and the fumes are not bad. I probably over paid for the "low fumes", who knows. Then I store everything back in the box and label it MA. For me, it is a 1X event that lasts a long time. 2 Gallons usually last almost the whole summer.

Always wear long sleeves (sweatshirt and jeans), eyewear and a asbestos mask, (if you have not worked with MA before), and always work with MA outdoors, not inside.

Approximately every 4-7 days, based on pump running and a lot of little rain-drops, I usually add 10 oz. For me, I have learned my PH behavior. Once you understand how quickly your PH rises and to what levels, you will know how much you need to put in the pool (that is how many fluid oz. at a time). Then save your bottles and label them. I actually walk around the pool and broadcast from shallow end to deep end on both sides (a little bit at a time). I have enough returns to circulate the MA pretty quickly. For me, I am still trying to find my sweet spot between TA and PH.

Please add your signature with Pool Details. Half Gallon is either a very large pool or your PH is very high and needed to be lowered to 7.2-7.5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.