Finishing my first slam

Hello.

Congrats on nearing the end of your SLAM. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you Pass OCLT tonight with flying colors. You're numbers all look really good. Your pool needs to be kept at SLAM/SHOCK level until AFTER you pass OCLT because allowing it to drop before that puts you at risk for not having killed all the algae out, and risk for reoccurrence. Please raise your pool back up to SHOCK level of 31ppm for your current 80 CYA level, and maintain it there until after you pass OCLT to decrease those risks.

Reminder that the pH will Not be accurate as long as your FC level is above 10ppm, so you'll want to be sure and retest the pH again and adjust accordingly after you pass OCLT.

Once you pass OCLT for certain you will then allow your chlorine levels to naturally drop and will need to MAINTAIN the chlorine at the appropriate level for your current CYA level per the chlorine/CYA chart so you don't get algae again. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful night :).

YAY it held overnight. Thanks again for a successful slam.

Tc 10
fc 10
cc 0
ph 7
cya 80
Alk 160

According to the CYA chart I am now targeting 9 for FC.

So here are my next questions and in what order do I address them.
Do I need to adjust the PH and start moving up. If so what product provides better efficiency vs cost
Do I need to work on the AKL? If so what product or just aerate?
Would like to lower CYA with a drain and fill but I am on well water water and the water table is getting low, it could bring in more minerals than I would want to tackle, can I live with this and will it drop over time?

Are there questions I should have asked, things I have missed, and can I swim in the pool now and enjoy it?

you can increase your pH with borax, just use pool math. but with your alkalinity so high im surprised your pH is low. I would try and aim a return at the surface to try and aerate a bit more and see if your pH will climb that way. if not, use borax.

no need to worry about Alkalinity, especially if you are having trouble with your pH being low...only really need to reduce that when your pH is rising super fast. regarding pH, the test isn't accurate with FC at 10ppm or higher, which you are right at. I would let it drop a little bit and reconfirm your pH and go from there.

would definitely get your CYA levels down, its going to be a lot easier to maintain the pool with it lower, but wouldn't worry about doing a drastic change. if you get get it down to 70 or so for now that would be good, and then try and use rainwater to do further drain/refills if you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.