SWG Pool opening

Jun 15, 2008
I need suggestions on opening my SWP this year. I am getting ready to take the cover off. I want to know how I get the algea out and get the readings where they need to be? I Think bleach is one of the things. I also need to know should I use my SWG from the start or wait until I get rid of the algea and get readings close to where they need to be. I will be greatful for any help that you can offer. Thanks

Donna, I would suggest that you return to Pool School, the link is in the upper right of your screen, and read all the articles there like "Read this Before you Post" and recommended levels for an SWG and How to Chlorinate your pool. You're going to want to chlorinate with bleach until you get your water balanced and then you can turn your SWG on.

I'm fairly certain that most of your questions can be answered by the articles in Pool School. Then if you have something more specific you can come back to this thread to post it.

Can you please update your profile to include your pool and equipment specs in your signature line? Go to User Control Panel, Profile, Edit Signature. Put your location, pool type, size and your pump, swg info there....thanks! That way you dont have to keep retyping it and we don't have to keep searching for it. :)

Hope this helps. :wave:

The first thing to do is to get the pool opened, have the pump running for at least an hour, and then get a full set of water test results. There are various different things you may need to do, depending on how the water looks and what the test results are.

Many people like to leave the SWG off till any algae is dead and the salt and CYA levels are right. If you want, you can turn the SWG on as soon as the salt level is right, but if you have algae you will need to shock the pool with bleach (or some other form of chlorine). A SWG can't usually take care of killing algae on it's own.

You have been given excellent advise by both frustratedpoolmom and JasonLion! Remember that SWGs are designed to maintain a chlorine level in a properly balanced pool, not clear a green one! If I am not mistaken you have a Chlorese SWG. (I looked up your posts from last year when your pool would not hold chlorine.)
This is a budget unit and it's performance is marginal at best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.