Ordered a Poolskim

Hi jjdurrant!
I looked up a video on youtube after I've read your post that shows a netskim in action. I have never seen one before, so thanks for posting.
It looks very promising if it works as good as it shows on the video. 98 US is very affordable aswell.
One thing I came to think of is how it work together with the skimmers. Does it not counteract the skimmers?

Regards Mats

It work in conjunction with the skimmers... you have your two skimmers doing their thing and the the poolskim attached to a return skimming into it's own net.

My skimmers do well, but my neighbor has a huge tree that drops LOTS of copters in the pool. very annoying. I am hoping the poolskim alleviates my frequesnt use of the handheld net. :)

I love my poolskim. We only have one skimmer and I got the pool skim last year and it has made a amazing difference.

chris

Well I hope it works better than the Pool Devil. I recently purchased one of them and it just won't float properly to establish the venturi effect, no matter how I adjust it's position. If it would, I can see that it would be effective. Of course that was only about $18 but it has made me skeptical of this type skimmer.

jjdurrant said:
It work in conjunction with the skimmers... you have your two skimmers doing their thing and the the poolskim attached to a return skimming into it's own net.

My skimmers do well, but my neighbor has a huge tree that drops LOTS of copters in the pool. very annoying. I am hoping the poolskim alleviates my frequesnt use of the handheld net. :)

It was for this exact reason I bought mine. I have a lot of maple trees and the amount of leaves and copters they drop is ridiculous. The pool skim works great on these! I love it.

chezhed said:
Well I hope it works better than the Pool Devil. I recently purchased one of them and it just won't float properly to establish the venturi effect, no matter how I adjust it's position. If it would, I can see that it would be effective. Of course that was only about $18 but it has made me skeptical of this type skimmer.

I use both AND a polaris LCS connected to a barracuda g4
Overall I'd say the poolskim works better than the pool devil pro.

Its design has it pulling debris from 360 degrees around it, but the tradeoff is that it needs more flow to be effective, and its more intrusive to the swimmers environment. I have the same problem you do if I mount the pool devil on a return that is low- it wont float correctly or work very well.

If the return is higher up it works pretty well, and will skim and hold the superfine dust that the poolskim passes right back to the water.

I've got the same helicopter problem both you guys do, my neighbor refuses to trim his tree and it drops millions of the "little" version of the copters that work through most filter baskets When the wind blows..its a REAL mess.

These little tricks and add ons make a huge overall difference in the amount of time and effort needed to keep the pool sparkling.

Davegvg

The two 2 PoolSkims have been nearly life changing additions. I live in the deep woods with high winds that change directions a lot. One day it might be 78 F with wind from the south, next day winds can abruptly change and come from north or northwest. A few days later it might come from the east. Frequently it whirls around coming from two or three directions changing every few seconds. A gentle breeze, out here is about 20 mph. :shock: One storm, last couple of weeks or so, had straight line winds of 80+ mph so lots of pruning of small branches ended up in the pool. The pool skimmer just can't pull everything all the way to that end of the pool especially with the variable winds pushing everything away from it. But when they do make it to the pool skimmer it fills in a few minutes so I have to be here the whole time the pump is running (pre PoolSkims). The Polaris 280, prior to installing the PoolSkims, using the leaf bag, would fill in a few minutes.

I've had major leaves coming down for a month now. Some of the trees are finished; about half are just changing, and a few haven't started changing yet. They all will be finished around the end of December.

While the pump is on the PoolSkims catch most of the leaves so very few make it to the bottom of pool and even less make it to the pool skimmer. So instead of cleaning the leaves out of the pool skimmer and Polaris leaf bag every few minutes, I can, instead, go a whole day, without worrying about the leaves clogging the skimmer and pump pot and just empty the net bags on the PoolSkims once a day or so.

That's a huge savings of time and energy and worry for me.

In order to get enough pressure to the two returns where the PoolSkims attach I had to put restrictor eyballs on my other two returns. This does raise my filter pressure some but not enough to be concerned about.

I haven't mentioned yet HOW MUCH I LOVE MY POOLSKIMS. :goodjob:

gg=alice

PoolGuyNJ said:
How much debris can it hold? It doesn't look very big.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

I'm going out to empty one in next hour or so. I'll dump it in a bucket to give you an idea. They hold a pretty good amount. The leaves that are coming down right now are quite large. Last week many of the leaves were smaller. When they are smaller they seem to compact more in the bag. Also the bunch of not too crisp, but springy, wet leaves won't have the fluffiness that dry raked leaves have so the leaves from bag will look like less than a pile of dry raked leaves.

I just eyeballed the bag. It is approximately 18" X 6 or 7". Good thing is that it won't hurt anything if it starts compacting the leaves like the pool skimmer does and/or the pump pot if they get leaves compacted in them.

My pool was off during the night and I didn't turn it on until a bit before noon. We had a cold front come in during night with winds shifting from S to NW. It was 78 F yesterday and is now in 40's with windchill in 30's and partly sunny. There were a "few" :twisted: leaves in the pool this morning with more continuing to blow in from our gentle gusts (20-30 mph).

Most of the leaves are going to one side of the pool, opposite from wind direction. I'm going to move the other PoolSkim to the shallow end of pool, about 15 ft from the main one once my eyeball removing tool comes in (These original eyeballs haven't been fiddled with in years, prior to getting the PoolSkims, so I can't get one of the threaded pieces out without breaking it using anything else.). The second one is collecting leaves in it, but the wind is blowing the leaves to the other side towards the "main" one. I decided a few weeks ago it would work better in a different place because of our winds.

Within an hour of starting the pump I emptied the main PoolSkim bag that had a few leaves in it from yesterday. An hour later I emptied it again. It has now been about 2 hours since I last emptied it but I'll go out there again in next hour to empty.

The Polaris 280 has been running at the same time. I started with an empty bag. The bag I'm using, aftermarket "ScumBag", is as large as the Polaris Leaf Bag but finer material, almost like the P sand/silt bag. It holds a good quantity of leaves. It has picked up most of the leaves that went to the bottom during the night. I've emptied it twice and it will need emptying in about 30 minutes. The PoolSkim is catching most of the leaves that are falling now before they sink.

The pool skimmer......... well........ not many leaves, say a small handful, are making it down there but a lot of dust is blowing in so that is clogging the skimmer sock pretty fast along with the few leaves. I just changed that for the third time today. Before I shut off the main drain, earlier today, a hand full of leaves were sucked into the freshly cleaned out pump pot.

Just a little info that might help.... :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
geekgranny said:
PoolGuyNJ said:
How much debris can it hold? It doesn't look very big.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

I'm going out to empty one in next hour or so. I'll dump it in a bucket to give you an idea. They hold a pretty good amount. The leaves that are coming down right now are quite large. Last week many of the leaves were smaller. When they are smaller they seem to compact more in the bag. Also the bunch of not too crisp, but springy, wet leaves won't have the fluffiness that dry raked leaves have so the leaves from bag will look like less than a pile of dry raked leaves.

Sorry, things came up. Also, I have a timer on pool that shuts it off so the bag didn't get totally full. (I manually start pump and then let timer turn it off which is especially critical during the fall when so many leaves and blowing dust get deposited in the pool. I have to do that to protect the equipment from the environment and the dogs.)

As soon as the PoolSkim bag gets full I'll empty and take pics. The wind has died down so not as much stuff blowing in for now. :roll:

gg=alice

:punkrock: Pictures are in :punkrock:

PoolSkim at work. Note stocking hanging from deck. Adding [corrected] CYA to pool and it is taking forever, a week now, with water temps a little above 60. It only took a few hours when the temps were in mid 80s F. The water is sparkling and clear so the ugly stuff has to be reflections.
IMG_3513.jpg

PoolSkim from top view. The bag is almost full but the leaves could compact more. Only the bottom 6" has begun to really compact.
IMG_3514.jpg

Two different bags; one is finer than the other. I purchased my first PoolSkim in 2007 but didn't get it installed until end of this summer 2009. A week later I ordered the second one from an online pool supply; not directly from PoolSkim site. Then I ordered two spare bags, directly from the PoolSkim site. Three of the bags are the larger netting; one is finer. I think the finer one came with the PoolSkim ordered this year. (This deserves an email to PoolSkim. I've gotten quick response from "them" when I've emailed them. :) )
IMG_3515.jpg

Damp leaves from PoolSkim bag. The bottom 6" of bag was beginning to compact down a bit. I removed bag before the rest was compacted much. I did just a little fluffing of leaves from the bottom of bag. The bucket is shorter than a 5 gallon bucket but close in diameter. I couldn't put leaves out on deck because of wind.
IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.