Can I Put Mesh Cover On Without Closing The Pool?

off2theocean

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2014
North Carolina
It’s that time of year that gets me thinking about closing the pool. In the past, we have closed it for the winter months. This year, however, I would like to try and leave it open. We had the pool re-plastered in May and I would like to be able to make sure the pH is balanced - the new plaster continues to require a large amount of Muriatic Acid. I also like to look out and see the water (regardless of the temperature), which to me is one of the best things of having a pool .

We live near Winston-Salem, North Carolina. From other posts I have read on the forum, I think we would be okay as far as temperatures. We could run the pump a few hours per day and then continuously through freezing temps.

The biggest issues we have are the leaves. We have TONS of maple and oak trees. We deal with a high volume of leaves and nasty acorns. Those darn acorns are like meteors when they fall from the trees and, even now in September, I have to constantly rake them from the bottom of the pool so they don’t stain my new plaster.

We have a mesh loop-loc cover. Would it be feasible to put the mesh cover on without closing the pool (pump still running, etc.) through the worst of the leaf season? I could peel back a portion every couple of days to check the pH, etc. Then, once the leaves and acorns have finished falling, I could just remove the cover all the way and maintain as usual.

Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? I am new at this and want to make sure I am not overlooking something. Thanks!

Yes, I also do this with my loop loc cover in the fall. I put the cover on, cut the pump down too 3 hrs and keep chlorine in it ( which is easy since most of the sunlight is blocked) when the water gets 50 degrees the water is lowered and the pump pulled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.