PebbleTec Drain & Acid Wash 2 Month Old Pool!?!

ErikU19

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2012
well the saga continues...

We noticed some color inconsistency about a month after the pool was filled.

I swam down and inspected it and noticed that the darker areas appeared to have less of the fine aggregate present exposing more of the pebbles in the finish.

I contacted the builder/Pebble Tec installer and they want to do a drain and acid wash tomorrow.

The only logical explanation is a poor acid wash the day after the Pebble Tec was initially installed??

Complete waste of 22,000 gallons of water - not to mention the time and money needed to fill and rebalance it.

Acid1.jpg

Acid2.jpg

Why even bother. No acid wash will be perfect and you'll end up with the same mottling effect in different places. Even if they are able to get it close to perfect, it will certainly mottle over time. I think it looks fine and dont understand why everyone is so concerned about color variations in their finishes.

We were told that inconsistencies tend to balance out over the life of the PebbleSheen. We waited 30d to see if that would balance out, and then called the PB back for a warranty ticket with Pebble to come out and do an 'acid stack' whereby they used a gallon jug of muriatic acid and a guy swam down to that area with a diving mask and pushed the acid bottle against the mottled areas. This cleaned up a streak we had beautifully, though may take a lot more time with larger areas.

This didn't require any draining of the pool, and brought about the desired effect - the light streak is completely gone now. Good luck,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.