Fill Water Test - Advice needed

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
Hey folks...newbie here. So we are putting in a 24' AGP and I ordered the TF 100 kit. Couldn;t wait to test with it so I figured why not test my tap water, which I plan to use to fill the pool. Here are my results as they were somewhat surprising. We live in Dutchess County NY and we always knew our water was hard, but this seems off the charts. Please let me know if it is possible to use this water for fill or will I be better off spending $700 for 3 truckloads of water (would rather spend the money on Trex :>))

PH - 7.2
CH - 470 (Checked twice 1st reading 460)
FC - 0
TA - 360

Didn't test for the remaining stuff as I figure I should be able to adjust.

Great site and can't wait to get some feedback!

Welcome to TFP!

It is possible to work with those levels, but it will take lots of acid and some diligence at the beginning to keep the PH carefully controlled until you can get the TA down. You will also want to use every opportunity to gather rain water to keep your CH level from going up too much over time.

If you are thinking about getting water trucked in, first double check that the water you are getting won't have exactly the same problem.

Thanks Jason..that's what I was fearing as well about having water trucked in...this region is well known for hard water.

I am assuming I should just follow the sticky...lower ph to 7...aerate...repeat, repeat...we have about a month between install and swimming weather so that's not an issue.

Is the CH level a concern for scaling or have you seen worse used for fill?

Thanks again

Thanks so much guys...you rule! Also we are planning on plumbing in a intex SWG...will the CH impact the SWG in anyway if I make sure to keep the PH below 7.8?

Forst thing to do would be to work on the TA to get it down to acceptable levesl. This will take a lot of acid and a bit of time but once you do your CH should not be a problem. With a SWG you never want the pH to go above 7.8

It is possible to manage CH levels up to as high as perhaps 1200 if you keep your TA level low and are very careful to make sure the PH never gets too high. As the CH level gets higher you may need to lower your maximum allowed PH to compensate. It is all doable, but does require attention to monitoring the PH level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waterbear said:
First thing to do would be to work on the TA to get it down to acceptable levesl. This will take a lot of acid and a bit of time but once you do your CH should not be a problem. With a SWG you never want the pH to go above 7.8

yes I have...TA is down to 180 now
I know I have a ways to go but I just love the TF100

CYA 20 - still disolving
FC = 6
CC = 0
PH = 7.2

Waiting for my TA to get to the 70-90 area before I add borax...I feel like half my pool is filled with MA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.