Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fill Water Test - Advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Fill Water Test - Advice needed

Hey folks...newbie here. So we are putting in a 24' AGP and I ordered the TF 100 kit. Couldn;t wait to test with it so I figured why not test my tap water, which I plan to use to fill the pool. Here are my results as they were somewhat surprising. We live in Dutchess County NY and we always knew our water was hard, but this seems off the charts. Please let me know if it is possible to use this water for fill or will I be better off spending $700 for 3 truckloads of water (would rather spend the money on Trex :>))

PH - 7.2
    CH - 470 (Checked twice 1st reading 460)
    FC - 0
    TA - 360

Didn't test for the remaining stuff as I figure I should be able to adjust.

Great site and can't wait to get some feedback!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fill Water Test - Advice needed

Welcome to TFP!

It is possible to work with those levels, but it will take lots of acid and some diligence at the beginning to keep the PH carefully controlled until you can get the TA down. You will also want to use every opportunity to gather rain water to keep your CH level from going up too much over time.

If you are thinking about getting water trucked in, first double check that the water you are getting won't have exactly the same problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If the trucked in water is good, what about a 50/50 mix? That might work...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason..that's what I was fearing as well about having water trucked in...this region is well known for hard water.

I am assuming I should just follow the sticky...lower ph to 7...aerate...repeat, repeat...we have about a month between install and swimming weather so that's not an issue.

Is the CH level a concern for scaling or have you seen worse used for fill?

Thanks again
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

5. Back To Top    #5

Scaling can be avoided by keeping the PH below 7.8... and then collecting the rainwater like Jason said and trying to dilute the pool water down that way...

Good luck!
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks so much guys...you rule! Also we are planning on plumbing in a intex SWG...will the CH impact the SWG in anyway if I make sure to keep the PH below 7.8?

7. Back To Top    #7

The same scale you experience in other parts of the pool can render the SWG cell useless....just keep it below 7.8 and you should be o.k. I think...

8. Back To Top    #8

Forst thing to do would be to work on the TA to get it down to acceptable levesl. This will take a lot of acid and a bit of time but once you do your CH should not be a problem. With a SWG you never want the pH to go above 7.8

9. Back To Top    #9

It is possible to manage CH levels up to as high as perhaps 1200 if you keep your TA level low and are very careful to make sure the PH never gets too high. As the CH level gets higher you may need to lower your maximum allowed PH to compensate. It is all doable, but does require attention to monitoring the PH level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

You guys are great...kind of like the Mastercard slogan "priceless" Thanks again for all your assistance! I am SO glad I found this site.

Regards,

Denis

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    First thing to do would be to work on the TA to get it down to acceptable levesl. This will take a lot of acid and a bit of time but once you do your CH should not be a problem. With a SWG you never want the pH to go above 7.8

12. Back To Top    #12

Water bear and Jason...ty so much guys....TA is on it's way down...currently sitting at 250...ways to go I know...but my super aerator should get the job done ...check it out

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Water bear and Jason...ty so much guys....TA is on it's way down...currently sitting at 250...ways to go I know...but my super aerator should get the job done ...check it out

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/
    You've been busy!

14. Back To Top    #14

yes I have...TA is down to 180 now
    I know I have a ways to go but I just love the TF100

CYA 20 - still disolving
    FC = 6
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.2

Waiting for my TA to get to the 70-90 area before I add borax...I feel like half my pool is filled with MA.