Any Computer experts?

Poolidiot

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Texas
I am in no way a computer expert. I hope someone here can help me. I use a Dos program at work for estimation. It runs in dos and not windows (well always has till now)It now comes up in windows and it is about a 1/4 size of a window(in dos it was always the size of the screen) Why would it all of a sudden start up in windows and not dos? And I can not get it to maximize. I have gone to property and click on Maximize and it will go to maximize for about 5 seconds then shrinks back up. I just can not get it to stay large.Anyone know anything about Dos and windows that might know the cause? I have used this for about 15 years and never had a problem till about 2 months ago. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Do you start the program by clicking on an icon on your desktop?

It's been awhile since I've had to run a Dos only program inside windows, but if you right click the icon, and select "Properties", I believe there is an option in there that you can set to run it in Dos mode. Sorry, I don't remember off hand exactly what it is.

One potential reason it might be starting up differently is that you used to start it from somewhere else (eg, the Start menu) and are now starting it from a different shortcut.

Rob,
"Do you start the program by clicking on an icon on your desktop?"
I do start it by clicking on icon on desk top (have for about 10years)

"if you right click the icon, and select "Properties", I believe there is an option in there that you can set to run it in Dos mode"

Either this fiture is no longer there or I am not smart enough to see it :oops:

"One potential reason it might be starting up differently is that you used to start it from somewhere else (eg, the Start menu) and are now starting it from a different shortcut"

I have tried starting it through the start up window too and it does the same thing.

Right click on the title bar (blue area at the top of the screen. Select properties. Under options, display options select Full screen. click ok. When prompted select save properties for future windows of the same title.
This Should correct it.

If that doesn't correct it you may have to alter your Autoexec.nt and config.NT to alter some TSR's or change some environment variables....

Sometimes you can even just try changing the location where the program runs from - for instance, if the program resides at c:\program\program.exe, try copying the files in the program folder to another new folder like program1 and running the exe again - this sometimes works around issues....

vegas_dp said:
Right click on the title bar (blue area at the top of the screen. Select properties. Under options, display options select Full screen. click ok. When prompted select save properties for future windows of the same title.
This Should correct it.

Vegas dp,
I did the right click on the title bar then under options I clicked on full screen, BUT when the next options came up they were :
Apply properties to current window only
or
modify shortcut that started this program.
There isnt any where to click on :save properties for future windows of the same title.

matt4x4 said:
If that doesn't correct it you may have to alter your Autoexec.nt and config.NT to alter some TSR's or change some environment variables....

Sometimes you can even just try changing the location where the program runs from - for instance, if the program resides at c:\program\program.exe, try copying the files in the program folder to another new folder like program1 and running the exe again - this sometimes works around issues....

Matt,
You can take the word pool out of my user name and put computer in its place :lol: But everythiong you said sounded like spanish to me :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolidiot said:
vegas_dp said:
This Should correct it.

Vegas dp,
I did the right click on the title bar then under options I clicked on full screen, BUT when the next options came up they were :
Apply properties to current window only
or
There isnt any where to click on :save properties for future windows of the same title.

Then check

And click OK

You should be running your program from a shortcut.
A windows shortcut to a DOS program, or for that matter, to C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, will have the capability to run as full screen. Right-click the shortcut, select properties, then click the "Options" tab. There should be a 'Display options" section where you can choose Window or Full screen.

Okay, now ya'll have got me fired up. My TFP shortcut on my desktop, opens TFP to a small screen. I can, of course, make it a full screen by clicking that feature in the top right of the window but, the next time I open it, it's half screen again.

I can not find a selection to force it to open as full screen. I'm running windows XP Home Edition. Any advice would be appreciated.....just type s-l-o-w-ly so I'll understand. :lol:

"Then check

And click OK"

I have done this and it will make it full screen but after about 5 seconds it goes back to small.

"Right-click the shortcut, select properties, then click the "Options" tab. There should be a 'Display options" section where you can choose Window or Full screen"

I have tried this also, and again it will change it to full screen then after 5 seconds it goes back to small
Maybe i need to get out of the stone age and stop usig dos :roll: but a new estimating program cost anout 30k :cry:

dos

Have you tried to set your video resolution in XP to 800x600 before launching your DOS Program?
Sometimes it's a function of your video driver that's not able to give you a good sized DOS Screen while maintaining the higher Graphic resolution for windows in the background - video cards don't realize you don't currently need the high resolution of XP while running DOS - I remember having a DOS game that kept doing that - easy workaround if it works, just right click on an empty spot on your desktop, choose properties, click the "settings" tab and drag the bar to the left until you see 800x600, click apply - choose yes to the question, and try your DOS program.

Have you tried to set your video resolution in XP to 800x600 before launching your DOS Program?
Matt,
I just tried that and it did not do the trick either :x

Try going to Microsoft's website and searching their database for your problem. If I'm not mistaken, they also list some user forums that might be able to help you as well.

"Try going to Microsoft's website and searching their database for your problem"

Mike, I tried this but like I said I am a computer idiot and it was like reading greek over there :shock: But i never did really see anything that was close to what my problem is.

"Just for giggles, what software are you using? Perhaps there's something its doing with the video mode...
Have you perchance made any changes to the computer? New video card? Fresh Windows update?"

Ohm,
I am running (or trying to run) Lucid. I have not made any chages to the computer but I did do an update on the computer awhile back.

updates

Most likely it was the MS updates that screwed with your video settings - possibly an updated DLL or something that no longer jiives with what Lucid wants.
Do you do critical only or all updates? All updates tends to push driver updates if MS has reference.
Best bet is to go into the control panel, add/remove software - see what windows updates you got "a while back" (they're all dated with install dates), write down their update numbers and search Microsoft's database for descriptions on the updates, find the one that mentions video something/anything and remove it. This may fix your problem, however, you have to keep that update on your list of "don't want's " forever more....
Another thing - if you bought a new monitor recently - like a widescreen it is possible that you had to update your video driver as well.
Another thing you can try is remove ALL updates you got a while back, test Lucid, if it works fine, then run win updates again, BUT install them one at a time, reboot after each, test Lucid, run updates again, install one, reboot, test etc until it fails - remove that update and list it on your "don't want's".
In case you're wondering what a "Don't want's" is - it's a yellow post it stuck to your monitor. Paperless society my A55!

The there's another workaround - it's called getting a new version of whatever CURRENT software you fancy OR Buy and old PC, load winxp on it - don't do updates, and copy LUCID's directory over to it on a memory stick and run it on that PC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.