Can a leaking spider gasket cause pump to lose prime overnight?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
My pump is losing prime overnight. Based on my understanding and reading here, this almost always is said to be caused by a suction side leak. However, there are no bubbles in the pool. The pump basket does seem to have a different sound than before acting somewhat like air is getting introduced. So I do plan to replace the o-ring on the lid.

However I do know that I have a leaking spider gasket as I can see small drops of water that come out the waste. It has been this way for awhile. Is it possible the spider gasket is causing the loss of prime?

Yes. Your system, when off, might relax a bit and a leaky spider gasket could let air into the system and cause a loss of pump prime. When it is back on and under pressure, it might get sealed again for air but not water and hence the leak. The same goes for when off...it may not drip when off due to no pressure. Or it might leak water when off AND provide an outlet for air.

If the leak has been happening for a while, the gasket is only going to continue to get worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.