pdfw

Jul 8, 2015
North Texas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our pool finished filling yesterday and we are waiting for the guy to come and do the startup. Today the pergola guys showed up to construct the top of the pergola. Lots of sawdust in the pool. But worse, they just dropped a gas powered chainsaw into the pool along with a cordless drill. I got out there just in time to see them fishing the chainsaw out with a nail on the end of a pressure treated 2x6 (on the newly finished interior). I'm concerned about the gas powered chainsaw in the water as well as the pressure treated lumber in the water. I can see a bit of an oily film on the top of the water...not sure if it is the sawdust or the chainsaw but I'm not sure what to do about the water. Is this a contamination that requires draining the pool and refilling, or is it not that big of a deal? Any advice?

TIA
Paul

Not a big deal as long as the finish/pebble wasn't damaged by the falling tools. Any oils or gas should be filtered and oxidized in short order once there is chlorine in the pool. The green treatment for boards is not nearly as toxic as it used to be so I don't think that's anything to worry about it either.

PDfw....hate to say it but I slung a gas powered blower into my pool and got the oily sheen. I raised my FC up and placed some batting into the filter basket and ran the filter overnight. No harm done. I hold on to the blower much tighter these days. :brickwall:

PIG Mat#551 works awesome at absorbing oils while being completely hydrophobic. I have a box and I've used it to clean up the Exxon-Valdez like tanning oil spills that occur every time my sister-in-law decides to visit our pool...

Let see, the saw dust should soak up the gas and oil off the top, a knee high nylon as a skimmer sock in the skimmer should strain out the saw dust. See it all just takes care of itself.

Thanks guys! Your responses have me feeling a bit better about it. But there is a definite film in the water that I need to deal with. It really sticks to the skin. I had to use Dawn dish soap to cut through it after sticking my arm in the skimmer. That gave me the thought - what would happen if I put a few drops of Dawn to break up the oil (the saw dust fell to the bottom before soaking up the oil). ;) The builder's guy came out and turned the equipment on, but didn't leave any skimmer baskets for me to wrap in nylon. So I guess the only thing that will strain out the sawdust is the pool filter.:thumbdown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Perfect may help break up the oil (Not with Phos-free included). I use it after a party when people with a lot of sun tan oil swim in my pool. Not sure if 2 stroke oil is similar to sun tan oils :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.