Pump shuts off- help!

Sep 8, 2015
Turkey
Hello! I need help from some smarter brains.
My Intex 637R 1000gph pump previously worked fine, but after a move it now shuts itself off after a few minutes, then restarts a few minutes after that, etc. The pump is rated to 1800W, is plugged into a 14G extension cord which is plugged into a 110v/50hz outlet(we live overseas, so the house is converted 220->110v, but the European Hz remain.
I tried the following: changing extension cords, changing plugs, plugging the pump into a transformer that was then plugged into a 220V outlet, and replacing the pump. The problem persists.
Here are my thoughts, but electricity is Greek to me, so I could be waaaay off.
Could it be a Hz issue, since the pump is designed for 60Hz and is getting 50Hz? If so, why did it not do this in Portugal where we were in a similar situation?
Could it be a voltage issue? The house current runs at about 125V. I tried plugging it into a surge protector without any improvement.
Could it be a GFCI issue? We don't have any GFCI outlets here in our house, but the pump plug itself is a GFCI, I think. Also, I wouldn't think that would go back on, or consistently shut off after a few minutes, but rather would trip off right away.

That's all I have. Any help will be greatly appreciated. FYI, we live overseas- everything I replace has to come from online and take about 2 weeks to arrive.
It was 107 degrees today- we NEED to get this pool up and running!

Thanks!
josh

Hello Josh, and welcome! When you say "...worked fine, but after a move it now shuts itself off after a few minutes, ..." does that imply your move was from a different country (i.e. US)? My gut is telling me that for your pump to be tripping-off, it would either be sensing moisture or heat. I'm guessing heat, possibly related to the pull of amps and/or perhaps the voltage as you indicated. I wonder if there is any type of voltage regulator you could try over there? I'm just a backyard electrician, not an expert, but others will certainly have a thought or two. We have some good ones here at TFP. :) Welcome to the forum!

- - - Updated - - -

Also take a look deep inside the pump as best as you can to make sure something didn't get lodged in there possibly interfering with the free spin of the impeller.

Thanks for the help!
Yes, the impeller is clear.
I did move from another country- the pump was bought in the US where we used it on a standard 110V GFCI outlet.
We then moved to Portugal, where I used it without problems. There our whole house was transformed 220->110V, but we ran low on voltage there, usually around 100-110V.
THEN we moved here to Turkey, and our house is once again transformed, but this time we run hotter, 125V last I checked. I suspect maybe the voltage is inconsistent and too high and overheating the pump.
I just ordered a new 220V pump from the UK. We'll see if that fixes the problem. Voltage stabilizers are hard to come by...
I'll update the forum when I try something new.

The lower frequency will cause the pump to run slower, run hotter, and draw more power. It may be okay or it may not be okay. Judging that it ran fine on 50 Hz in Portugal, it might be okay in Turkey but not all power is created equally.

It almost sounds like it is overheating and therefore shutting itself off but I don't know if this motor has thermal protection. I also don't think it would see-saw back and forth turning off and on if it was overheating. I would think once it overheats and shuts down, it would have to be restarted manually...but I don't know.

It also almost sounds like it could be the starter circuitry (start capacitor) acting funny. When it turns itself off, is it really totally off or is it humming or sounds like it is still on?

I don't think it is the GFCI because once that trips, it requires a manual reset.

The lower frequency will cause the pump to run slower, run hotter, and draw more power. It may be okay or it may not be okay. Judging that it ran fine on 50 Hz in Portugal, it might be okay in Turkey but not all power is created equally.

It almost sounds like it is overheating and therefore shutting itself off but I don't know if this motor has thermal protection. I also don't think it would see-saw back and forth turning off and on if it was overheating. I would think once it overheats and shuts down, it would have to be restarted manually...but I don't know.

It also almost sounds like it could be the starter circuitry (start capacitor) acting funny. When it turns itself off, is it really totally off or is it humming or sounds like it is still on?

I don't think it is the GFCI because once that trips, it requires a manual reset.

Thanks for the help!
When it shuts off it is silent- no noise.
When I try the older pump(same model), it shuts off and can be manually reset with the GFCI, but shuts off again not long after. The newer pump will automatically restart, and if left alone seems to run about 25% of the time in spurts of 2-5 minutes.

I'm at a loss. I'm a physician by trade, and my lack of knowledge and failure to diagnose the problem is liable to make me CRAZY!
I'm trying to get ahold of a 220v pump to see if it's a Hz issue. It may also be the voltage fluctuations here in Turkey?

To keep it from excessive current draw, you need to keep the ratio proportional.
50/60=0.8333
Therefore, 120 x 0.8333 = 99.99
So, you need to operate at 100 volts 50hz.

So, at 125v Turkey, your well over +/- 10% tolerance compared to 110v Portugal.

You will be operating at a lower speed and lower capacity.

Now, the only issue is, does it have a start switch, and will it reach the proper speed to disengage? Remember, you'll be 20% down on speed.

Why don't you just buy a 50hz pump?

Also, are you sure the plug to receptacle terminals are the correct configuration? In regards to hot, neutral, and ground?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.