Best way to add DE to my sand filter

Hello all. I've been reading this site and forum for quite awhile now and require a little advice at this time. I have a 12,000 gallon vinyl lined above ground kayak pool. I ran into a slight algae and cloudiness problem recently and once I corrected it with advice from this site, I started reading about DE and its benefits. I purchased some from the local pool store and figured out I need 1 1/2 cups to raise the pressure 1 PSI. My problem is adding it to my filter. I mixed the amount in water and slurried it up in a 5 gallon bucket that I filled about half way. My problem is getting it all to go in the skimmer. Most of it went in, but some didn't get sucked in and now I have areas on the bottom of my pool with DE resting. I plan to vacuum it up which is no big deal, but is there a better container to mix this stuff in that would allow me to add it easier to my skimmer? Would an empty gallon milk container work or something smaller and easier to handle? What do you guys think? I want to keep using the DE but not if I have to constantly vacuum it out every time I add it. Thanks.

Try adding it in smaller batches - 1/4cup mixed in a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup. There's no reason to dump it in all at once. Doing it in batches with a pourable container would be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
I ran into a slight algae and cloudiness problem recently and once I corrected it with advice from this site, I started reading about DE and its benefits.
You can NEVER control algae through filtration. I know you didn't ask but your algae problem is a chemistry problem. Once you get the chemistry right and kill the algae, it is likely you will not need DE.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I guess I got a little greedy to get it done and see the results. I will add a little at a time and be more patient with it. I got my chemical situation all sorted out and through balancing the water, brushing, and backwashing I got the water straightened out and algae gone. I don't plan to eliminate algae with filtration only though. I went the DE route after getting rid of the algae and to help the water clarity and just see if I can't help my sand filter do a little better job overall of filtering. I'm running a trial here towards the end of my swim season to see if it does a better job or not. That way when I open the pool next spring I'll either use the DE from the start or just leave it out all together. I didn't pay much for it so I think it was at least worth a shot. Love all the advice on this site. You've helped me out of a lot of jams.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.