Very green lagoon style pool - helping friend learn TFPC and getting control of pool

Great thread Steve, hopefully I never have to refer back to it for mine as I am new at the pool ownership thing myself; just moved and acquired it in July. I have enjoyed this site and use it to help me maintain what my inline chlorinator doesn't. I too am eagerly awaiting the "after" pictures...keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8am today, Day 4.

FC 15
CC 0.5

b245daccb3da450a63c743ba20246932.jpg

Oh yeah, I can see a significant change from yesterday to today it is a lot less green, and the algae from the center of the pool outward doesn't look as thick in there. You're doing a great job. Have a wonderful day. :)

Great thread Steve, hopefully I never have to refer back to it for mine as I am new at the pool ownership thing myself; just moved and acquired it in July. I have enjoyed this site and use it to help me maintain what my inline chlorinator doesn't. I too am eagerly awaiting the "after" pictures...keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think if a thread like this teaches only one thing, it's never let this happen, as it's way more work to fix it than to keep it from happening. But in my friend's case, the broken pump did them in. That's a hard one to plan for.

6pm tonight.

060d9cd74dd4d77b9887250dc4acdfbe.jpg

Definitely yellowing from green now. The spa had a tint of green though so I'm SLAMing that too now to be safe. It was raining so it could have just been the disturbed water playing games with my vision but I don't want to take a chance.

CL was 17 and CC 0.5 before I added more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Just need to think about how to filter the spa. Only the pool or spa can filter at once. I'm thinking since if there is so little algae if any in the spa that I can filter anything that's dead out later and still focus on the pool. I think by Saturday night the pool will be inching it's way to cloudy blue.

Looking significantly lighter than yesterday's pic, and a lot lighter since you began. All signs indicate you are continuing to head in the right direction. Keep up the great job, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's pic. :)

I'm expecting big changes in the next 48 hrs. I'm using about 5-6 gallons (121 oz technically) of bleach a day, and this is allowing me to maintain a minimum of around 15 at all times...so I have some buffer in case I'm delayed checking.

That's true, if you are worried about it dropping under SLAM level. Given this isn't vinyl, I am able to go higher than the minimum levels to be sure I stay above 12 all the time. That allows me longer intervals of checking. As long as I'm above 12, the extra bleach isn't doing all the much or making it go that much faster. It's the filtering of the water that really starts to clear the water as the algae dies off. I can taste it though, figuratively. The water is really turning now.

You have it right. My only add would be this: At some amount of extra chlorine you lose it to degradation rather then algae kill. So the large adds less often, don't have the same overall effectiveness, as smaller adds more often. But now I'm picking at nits, again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.