Cyanuric acid and Chas' AG pool remodel

Chas

In The Industry
Jun 8, 2015
Juneau Wisconsin
I posted a couple of questions in early June '15 re; CYA and iron control after I re-filled my AG pool with its new vinyl liner. Thanks to the great replies I received I've learned and observed some vital facts. I've been in the industry for way longer than I care to think about, yet have overlooked - out of ignorance and disbelief - the importance of CYA in the Tri-chlor tabs so many of us use. The past few years I've gone through way more chlorine and algaecide than was reasonable. This year, on a fresh water fill and after getting the iron from my well water handled, I tested daily and observed:
1) My pool was absolutely trouble free, crystal clear and algae free all summer.
2) I didn't add any algaecide after two weeks of removing the iron with no chlorine in the water.
3) I added enough "stabilizer" (CYA) to bring the initial CYA count to approx. 10ppm. (Tested for with my new test kit from TFP)
4) I went through 7 gallons of muriatic acid a little at a time in order to bring the TA from 410ppm (yes, you read that right) to the 120 ppm it is now.
5) I ran the pool all season with 3" Tri-chlor tabs in my online feeder. No muss, no fuss, simple and troublefree.

6) ALAS! Over the course of the past 2-1/2 months, the Tri-chlor pucks raised my CYA to 55ppm! From 10 in mid June to 55 on Aug. 31st! Gasp! OK, I'm a believer. My pool won't be trouble free for long using pucks!
7) I went to hand feeding liquid. But, what a pain. I see with great interest a forum on ORP controllers and auto-feeding liquid - just like I did when I ran commercial pools back in the '80s. Kool! Next year's project.

Thanks for a great website~! A closing pic of my remodeled pool -
IMG_1475-1.jpg

Great to hear you had a fantastic pool season and that you now understand the chemistry a bit better.

There are not many fans of ORP sensors here. They seem to be very temperamental in outdoor pools with higher CYA levels.

Go with the SWG. You'll get rid of the build up of CYA as soon as you stop using the pucks.

The pool looks great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.