Solar panels - Ecostar VS pump

booboo

May 22, 2008
Marana AZ
I have 9 4x12 Heliocol solar panels in one single row on my flat roof about 16 foot off the ground. I have a Ecostar 3400 VS pump and 2" PVC lines to and from the panels. I would like to add 5 more panels in a new row to this system. Is the pump powerful enough to do this? How do I figure how many panels the pump will support? How do I figure out what speed to run the pump at?

Typically you want about 1 gpm for every 10 sqft of solar panels. You would likely have to run at a pretty high speed.

This would end up being the largest system I have heard of on the forum.

I suspect in order to get maximum performance from your solar panels with the 14 4x12 panels you will need to run your pump at full speed or close to it, to know for sure you might consider purchasing a flow meter like the ones sold at TFTestkits TFTestkits.net By way of comparison I have a set of 11 4x12 Techno-Solis brand panels at a similar height to your panels with a 2 speed 1.5 HP Jandy Flo-Pro pump. When running on high with a clean DE filter I get just about 40 GPM of total flow, or 3.6 GPM per panel, where optimal flow is around 4.5 GPM.

Ike

to know for sure you might consider purchasing a flow meter like the ones sold at TFTestkits TFTestkits.net

Ike

If I were to put a flow meter right after the VS pump would it help me determine what speed to run my pump at? For example. Throttle the pump back from full speed until the flow rate is desirable. Is this a good way to determine what speed to run the pump at? Could use this for all aspects of the pool ( solar, in floor cleaner, spa mode, spill over, etc).

Don't put it right after the pump. Use the FlowVis right after your filter where you need a check valve anyway.

And yes it will give you an idea of the flow rate for all modes.

That is just the typical location for a check valve with solar. I suppose between the pump and filter should work the same to prevent backflow when the solar panels drain.

It depends on the type of filter setup you have and where the water from the solar panels would back flow to once the pump is off. If you would fill out your signature with your pool information like ours is it would be helpful in giving better advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.