Jul 8, 2015
North Texas
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all,

Our pool is finally to the point of having water in and I have a few questions/concerns. My first concern is that tomorrow the pool builders folks will begin to add chemicals to the water and I want to make sure that they don't add anything to the water that is generally not a good idea or worse - downright bad for the pool water chemistry. I don't want something added that I can't reverse easily if necessary. My TF-100 test kit is on order but hasn't yet arrived so I am not able to provide any readings. I maintain fish tanks through the use of test strips, so I have a ballpark idea of some of the parameters of the fill water. Given that these are test strip readings, I'll only be able to provide a general range for Total Hardness (rather than Calcium Hardness) of around 150 ppm; Total Alkalinity of about 180 ppm; and an alkaline pH somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.8. We will have a SWCG, but I have read that you shouldn't add salt to a newly plastered (or in my case pebble finish) pool for at least 28 days - so I'm not sure what they are planning to add tomorrow. Any advice for anything that I need to make sure that they DO NOT add to the water? Anything that I should make sure that they DO add?

I have another concern regarding the interior finish that I am hoping to get some guidance on as well. We went with a Stonescapes Mini Pebble finish and it was applied last Friday. Then another guy came out and did an acid wash on Saturday and started to fill the pool when he was done. As the pool was filling, I went down into the pool to remove some pieces of tape that were left in there and I noticed several cracks in the finish and one crack also had a small chunk that was missing. I don't know if this is normal and nothing to worry about or if this is something serious that could lead to early failure. Unfortunately, my trust in my PB has diminished significantly over the course of our build and so I'm not confident that he will be truthful about the issue. I have looked online for information, but have not found much related to this issue with Stonescapes. Is there anyone here that can offer some insight as to whether this cracking is problematic long-term, or simply a cosmetic issue?

Thanks,
Paul

At this point it is more important to ask the builder how the pool should be tested and maintained for warranty purposes. Builders may require you follow their instructions for treating the pool and having water "professionally tested" including a print out from a pool store. This is especially important since you already suspect a defect in the finish. Document the cracked and chipped area with photos and ask the person the builder sends out about it. Follow up with a call to the builder and email copies of the photos. Keep an eye on the water level and do a bucket test if it looks like the water level drops more than 1" in 24 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.