Pool Startup... What Parameters Do I Go After First?

CYA is a fixed number. once it's in the pool, the only clear way to adjust that level is to add/remove water as needed. I would start with this first. If it's a new fill, add CYA to shoot for half or 3/4 the amount you need. Wait a full week, test again and adjust.

While you're waiting for CYA to show up in test, get your pH in line.

Next, I would tackle chlorine. how will you chlorinate until you can run your salt water generator? what is your fill calcium level? if you need to add calcium, add cal-hypo slowly and in small amounts to keep down cloudiness. supplement with liquid chlorine (bleach) to keep your FC level relevant to your CYA target.

leave TA last as it will settle into a sweet spot depending on pH fluctuations.

- - - Updated - - -

Now all that is depending on how your PB does startup on a new pool. be aware of what is required for warranty purposes. write down everything he adds to the pool.

Since you don't have your pool YET, now is a good time to work on getting a good test kit. The Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 (tftestkits.net) are the two highly recommend on this forum. You can start by seeing what the parameters are of your fill water and then you can prepare for the day when you start filling up.

But, as stated above, check with your Pool Builder on what they may or may not do for starting up your pool. You may just need to follow what they recommend in order to keep warranties in tact.

Read up here in Pool School on new pools and various start-up procedures. Go to the search box and type: Start Up. If your PB leaves you with nothing in terms of start-up (like mine did), you may wish to investigate the bicarbonate start-up procedure. I wish I had known about it and gone that route.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.