Added Algaecide ?

Jul 22, 2014
Keller, TX
As Home Simpson would say ... "D'oh"

I listened to the kid at Leslie's who, when I told him my water was turning a little green, advised a copper algaeside, and I already added it to my gunnite, chlorine 25,000 gal pool. My wife and kids and I all have brown hair. We have a tahoe blue quartz finish. Are you saying it could stain the pool? Only added 10 ounces.

Re: Copper Algaecide

Even though you have been around a while, since this is your first post: a belated Welcome to TFP!

Could it stain? Absolutely. Will it? If that is all the copper you have ever added to your pool then probably not. You also probably won't see much difference in your green either since algaecide is more useful for preventing algae than killing a bloom in progress.

A much better option to clear the green out of a pool is to perform the SLAM procedure. This involves bringing your FC level high enough in relation to your CYA level and keeping it there until everything is dead. It will require a proper test kit such as the k-2006 or TF-100. Do you have one of those kits?

Due to the buffering properties of CYA, 24 FC is actually quite swimmable when your CYA is 60.

Unfortunately pool store testing is notoriously unreliable. Between inexperienced techs, lighting, and a myriad of other variables you rarely get accurate results. CYA is typically the worst. So while you are correct that if you are at 60 CYA you will need to raise your FC to 24, without doing your own CYA test you really can't be sure that is correct and without doing your own FAS-DPD chlorine test you won't be able to properly maintain your FC or perform 2 of the 3 tests required to conclude the SLAM.

Generally in this situation the best advice is to get one of those test kits on order (they are rarely ever stocked locally) and put your pool in to a holding pattern by adding 1 gallon a day of liquid chlorine a day until you can accurately test.

BTW, how are you currently chlorinating your pool?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.