Outrage320 -- Intimidated New Member

Sep 6, 2015
Yukon, OK
Hi all,
My name is Tony and my wife and I live in central Oklahoma. We are currently in the process of having our pool put in so I'm not sure I had everything handy for my signature. We have already had the gunite shot in and are currently watering it. So we still have a bit to go. I've been reading this site and these forums to try to be prepared but really intimidated. I did buy the k-2006 test kit and should have it next week. Just wanted to introduce myself as I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. Trying to get my wife to get on here and educate herself too so that between the two of us maybe we'll have a clue. We have owned several smaller ag pools and used chlorine tablet and swg but always just played it by ear with cheap test kits. Hoping this will be easier with the help of this site. Thank you all for the wealth of information.

Well after reading all of the horror stories of people waiting to come here until their pool was out of control and seeing every time that the people trying to help needed the results of the better kit I thought I'd save myself some time now. Plus we already have a hot tub that could benefit from the better tester. We are so ready for our pool to be ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum. :wave:Yes, but only at first. I would suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That's a great place to start.

Thanks for the advice. I've read through it twice but definitely need to study it further.

Welcome Tony and wife! You are welcome to use the same sign in to make life easier for both of you. Just make sure we know which one we are talking to LOL.

We will help you one step at a time. Your first "job" when you get your test kit will be to test your fill water and post the results here. Don't bother testing the CYA as it has to be added.

Just think you will never have to spend big bucks at the pool store! May be a good thing since I am sure you dropped some big bucks on your build!

We would LOVE to see some pics of what you have so far. You can use photobucket or such to share you pics.

Kim

As others have said, Welcome!! By registering here and buying a Taylor-based test kit, you are light-years ahead of most first-time TFP'ers.

As you read through pool school try to take time and compare what you're reading to what you knew to be "true" from your previous pool experiences. If you're reading something and it doesn't jibe with what you did in the past, please post a question. The best way to learn is to ask lots of questions, especially the ones that challenge previously held beliefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome, we are right down the street... just read the info but a lot wont make sense until you get water in the pool.. post up some numbers and we will walk you through.. :) once you start it becomes second nature, I hardly look at the directions anymore Ive done it so much :)

Thanks for the welcomes. Nice to see someone else from our neck of the woods. I've hopefully included an image of the pool below. That limbo bar has since been removed as the sewer line had to be re-routed. 30x16 kidney shaped, 3.5 ft to roughly 6 ft depth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What, I like the underwater limbo bar...I could probably pull that one off as opposed to the above ground versions of limbo ;)

Welcome to TFP!

The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry article and one of the Recommended Test Kits is the best way to get started. As a quick reference, I use just 2 primary chemicals to manage my pool: Plain unscented liquid bleach and muriatic acid (as needed). While every pool is different, I think you will find that maintaining proper water chemistry is much simpler than the pool store would have you believe.

Don't worry about it almost everyone is overwhelmed at first, I strongly suggest reading the above mentioned pool school articles, then take a break and read them over a 2nd or even 3rd time as it seems most people get a lot more out of them the 2nd or 3rd time through.

Hi, welcome to TFP! All the pool care stuff will make more sense once you actually start working with it. Play around with the test kit a little so you are familiar with how to do the tests once the pool is filled. You can also play around with PoolMath so you can see how inputting different test values changes the recommendations.

You might even want to try a little mental game. Read through a section and then pretend you are doing it. Actually, imagine going through the motions. Might spark a question or two.

I pretend I'm opening a cold beer all the time but it's just not nearly as satisfying as the real deal ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support