raising cya

tara15

Jun 18, 2007
Hello,

How many pucks would i need to help raise cya while the stabalizer i put in pool is slowly disolving? and for how long? Right now my reading for cya is 0 so with the ny heat right now im going through bleach like crazy.
Oh, I have a 10000 gallon above ground pool.

Thanks

The answer depends on the actual puck weight. The 3" pucks come in slightly different sizes of 8, 7 and 6 ounces. If you are using 8-ounce Trichlor pucks, then one of these in 10,000 gallons adds 5.5 ppm FC and 3.3 ppm CYA. In general, for every 1 ppm FC you get with Trichlor (regardless of puck size) you get 0.6 ppm CYA as well.

The Trichlor pucks do not dissolve very quickly. In a floating dispenser, they take many days. Even putting a puck in the skimmer (which should only be done if the pump is ALWAYS running), it still takes at least a day or two to dissolve.

The fastest way to add CYA is to either use Dichlor granules/powder which dissolve quickly and add 0.9 ppm CYA with every 1 ppm FC or to use Instant Pool Water Conditioner found here. The Dichlor will add chlorine as well as CYA while the latter Instant...Conditioner product is just a different form of CYA (that is less acidic as well).

Richard

thanks.

i guess i wont add anything right now since i already added the stabalizer and i need to wait for it to disolve and retest. I have a large tree with debree overhead. when i vacuum how should i? pump to waste? or filter to waste? If i do filter to waste wouldnt i have to backwash and i dont want to do that while the stabalizer is disolving right? thanks in advance

tara

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.