Hayward Aquarite SWCG cycle times

robdac

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2014
Weston, FL
With my new pool pump installed I now control pump run time and SWCG run time independently. I would like to set up the SWCG so that it only runs one cycle reverses polarity and runs another cycle. My search has turned up conflicting information on how much SWCG run time this would require.

It's a new Hayward Aquarite SWCG with a T-15 cell. It's also oversized for the pool so there is no worry of it not generating enough chlorine even on a short daily run time. I was running it 9 hours a day at 20%. I just want it to run on both polarities once daily and be done. My theory is that it will be easier on the unit long term because it will require less power cycles and the controller will be powered fewer hours per day during afternoon lightning.

So, what are the generation cycle times? My research seems to indicate it may be 180 minutes per polarity. Also, if it only runs 180 minutes per day and is then de-powered will it use the opposite polarity the following day?

Thanks James.

So let's say in theory the unit could be set to run for exactly 181 minutes per day. It would run for 180 minutes on a polarity we will call "A" for convenience. It would then run for 1 minute on "B" and then be powered off for the remainder of the day. The next morning it would automatically switch from "B" since that was in use when it was powered off to "A" and again run for 180 minutes.

I only ask because this is exactly what I want to avoid to increase the longevity of the unit.

Have you called Hayward technical support about this? Or perhaps contact user Hayward Pool who is a former Hayward tech.

It doesn't make sense to me that if you cut the power before the second 180min cycle completes that the cell reverts back to the original plates. I have a Pentair IC40 and the onboard logic has an EEPROM that stores all previous state info. The cycle time for the Pentair IC's is 4 hours after the initial 1st month break-in period. Hayward and Pentair are similar sized companies and I would expect their cell designs to use similar logic and operations.

Just my $0.02 opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you called Hayward technical support about this? Or perhaps contact user Hayward Pool who is a former Hayward tech.

I have not.

However, forum member who represents themselves as being employed by Hayward was kind enough to send me a private message regarding this issue after reading my initial post. It reads in part:

"If you are running the system for 9 hours per day at 20%, you are producing chlorine for 36 minutes for every 3 hours of runtime. After 3 hours, the unit will automatically reverse polarity and run for 36 minutes of the next 3 hour cycle. Because you are running for 9 hours per day, you produce on one polarity twice one day and the other polarity once. On the second day, you'll have the opposite."

I've gone with just under 180 minutes for the SWCG run time and tripled the output which should result in the same amount of chlorine production with only 3 hours of power to the unit per day. This should also allow equal use on both polarities.

Ok. That makes more sense to me. It's not counting actual time that the plates are energized, it's basing its reversals on how long the cell is energized whether the SWG is producing chlorine or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just so everyone is on the same page and I understand what is being asked. The unit will reverse polarity every 3 hrs (older units were 2hrs). They will also reverse polarity ever time the unit shuts down and turns back on.

Hi Guys,

I'm deep into the process of building my own controller for my Aquarite T-Cell 15. I am able to switch polarities using the controller's logic code but I have a question that you guys will probably be able to help me with...

When switching the polarity on the cell, should I include a time period between changes where the cell gets no current? I was thinking about maybe giving it a minute to pass all the chlorine gas before switching the polarity. I have no reason to believe that not having that 'pause period' would have any negative effect but figured I'd ask to be on the safe side.

What do you guys think? JamesW and Chemgeek (and anybody else), what do you think?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The thermistor acts as a surge protector. It starts cold and heats up. When cold, it has a resistance of 2 ohms. As it heats up, the resistance drops to close to zero.

If the current starts when the thermistor is hot, there will be no surge protection.

I don't know how much delay the Hayward uses between cycles. I would estimate that it would take about ten minutes for the thermistor to cool down enough to provide surge protection.

If you're not using a thermistor, I don't see any reason for a long delay.

In general, I think that it's probably a good idea to have some delay. Maybe a minute or so, but I don't have a specific reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.