DIY Pool Project

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Watch the live pan/tilt/ zoom webcam of my project here:
http://n8scstm.no-ip.info/
username is "user" and there is no password. Must use IE and let the activeX install when it asks.

Here is the basic design so far. I'll update my project as I go; I'm sub'ing it out myself, and have a goal of getting this done for under $20,000 which a lot of people laugh at and tell me I'm crazy.

Attachments

• POOL_14.JPG
    POOL_14.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,780
Just a WAG on my part but I'd think 20k may be difficult. That a fairly large sized pool....very nice, too.

We absolutely love pool builds so we all hope you'll share some pics as you progress. :-D

I like a challenge :)

***POST RESERVED FOR RUNNING COST TALLIES***
GRAND TOTAL TO DATE $20,181.92

POOL EQUIP. $1,000.00
JANDY 2 SPEED PUMP $509.05
JANDY 2 SPEED RELAY $80.90
ENGINEERING $268.55
PERMIT $364.18
POOL/SPA FITTINGS $273.84
LIGHT TRANSFORMER $76.10
LIGHTS/WATERFALLS/BACKWASH VALVE $2,171.55
SKIMMER AND JANDY FILTER $166.22
2X NAT GAS HEAT LAMPS $376.78
DIG $2,370.00
REBAR $1,900.00
PLUMBING SUPPLIES $997.95
"TOOL RENTAL, DITCH WITCH,
HAMMER DRILL, JACK HAMMER" $241.07
GUNITE $5,850.00
GAS LINE $965.00
STONE $926.33
block/ cement, rebar for retaining wall $186.99
misc plumbing and electrical $339.97
firepit block and mortar $244.43
chemical test kit $93.35
tfp lifetime membership $30.00
TOTAL $19,432.26

TOOLS
Makita DCP7311 $326.25
3 pack diamond blades $216.41
trench shovel, flat shovel, pick $87.00
wheel barrow, hoe, rebar cutters $120.00
TOTAL $749.66

Purchased some slightly used (4 years or so) equipment off of Craigslist. Nice system, 1 hp filter pump, plus a 1.5 hp spa jet booster, both sta-rite. Jandy Aqualink RS with 7 high voltage relays. Jandy One-Touch indoor control panel. cleva-chlor dual cell chlorine gernerator, 400k btu RayPak Digital Heater, 2 Jandy valve actuators, large DE filter and a pool vacuum cleaner w/ hose. Cost $1,000.

Attachments

• CIMG0357.JPG
    CIMG0357.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 2,709
  • IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,698
  • IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,700
I bought this Jandy PlusHP 2 HP Dual Speed Pump to run the filtration and jets. I also got the 2-speed relay for the aqualink RS. I'm going to use the 1.5HP pump that I already have for the waterfalls and sell the 1HP pump.

Attachments

• jandyphp.gif
    jandyphp.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,693
Here is my budget to get this done for under 20k.
BUDGET
EQUIPMENT USED $3,000.00
ENGINEERING SUB $200.00
PERMITS CITY $500.00
EXCAVATION SUB $2,280.00
PLUMBING SELF $500.00
ELECTRICAL SELF $300.00
REBAR SUB $1,900.00
GUNITE SUB $5,900.00
COPING SUB $1,300.00
TILE SELF $500.00
STONE WORK SELF $1,000.00
CONCRETE SUB $1,500.00
PLASTER SUB $2,500.00
$21,544.25

n8,

Doing all that masonry work yourself, you have a good shot at it. I think. I did all mine and it was tedious and very, very labor intensive but I certainly saved some money.

I did see one gaping error in your budget........

BREWSKI's consumed during all SELF phases = $12,000 (plus or minus depending on outside temperature) :shock: :shock:

Wow, How did I miss that? Actually, I can't count the beer because that is going to be consumed regardless of the pool construction, it's a normal routine. LOL. I tiled the entire first floor of my house, over 1000 sq. ft. in a diamond patern, lots of cuts and I think it came out nice. So I don't think this can be much more difficult. One course of tile all the way around and some fast-stack stone on the back wall, seal it and I'm done. I'm actually more worried about the plumbing and wiring the lights than anything. Seems easy enough since the equipment is already plumbed but I hope there is nothing special that I need to know regarding the skimmer, drains, jets, etc. I'll do plenty of research before I get that far along. And I'm thinking about going with 12v LED's to make the lighting wiring easier. Any thoughts on those? I dont need lots of light, it's more for asthetics.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The plumbing is not too bad. Once you get a basic understanding of the layout, it's pretty much glueing pvc. There are few penetrations in the shell and the skimmers are held in position with the rebar so you simply plumb pipe to each one.

I thought about 12v lighting as well but I really needed pretty adequate lights so went with 120v. Much like the plumbing, you position the niche within the shell and then plumb plastic conduit up to it. Couple of small waterproofing tips to make sure it meets code and you're good to go. Bonding of the rebar and ladders, rails, etc. is easily overlooked during the electrical and sometimes not even electricians understand it well.

There's lot's of folks here on the forum who have experience in all these areas.

n8scstm said:
Purchased some slightly used (4 years or so) equipment off of Craigslist. Nice system, 1 hp filter pump, plus a 1.5 hp spa jet booster, both sta-rite. Jandy Aqualink RS with 7 high voltage relays. Jandy One-Touch indoor control panel. cleva-chlor dual cell chlorine gernerator, 400k btu RayPak Digital Heater, 2 Jandy valve actuators, large DE filter and a pool vacuum cleaner w/ hose. Cost $1,000.

Hmmm. Who gets rid of used (4 yr old) equipment? Usually it's only replaced when it is all used up. Maybe you need to talk with PHXAZ and give them their equipment back! :roll:

my-re-plum-equipment-move-project-t10744.html

stever said:
n8scstm said:

Hmmm. Who gets rid of used (4 yr old) equipment? Usually it's only replaced when it is all used up. Maybe you need to talk with PHXAZ and give them their equipment back! :roll:

Around here, we have a lot of backyard pools....and in the last 5 years or so we have seen an influx of immigrants from various parts of the worlds who do not partake in the idea of personal suburban swimming pools....For example, behind my friends house....the homeowners put in the exact same pool as us, the summer after us. They lived there one more year and then, divorce. House goes up for sale. Pool sits "closed" for two full summers, house is bought by a middle-eastern family who apparently didn't want the pool, and they tore it down. Equipment basically 2 years used....

I can think of several similar situations in our subdivision, where newer pools were taken down.

Hi n8scstm and welcome to the forum! :wave:

n8scstm said:
Actually, I can't count the beer because that is going to be consumed regardless of the pool construction, it's a normal routine. LOL.
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

stever said:
n8scstm said:

stever, Too funny! That took some reading and some conflagualation* on your part to put that together! :lol: :lol:
*and I mean that in the fun way :mrgreen:

I live in Riverside County Ca. Riverside rivals Phoenix in the foreclosure department.

edit: Stever, just looked at your sig. This equipment actually came out of fallbrook, right by you. I'm in Murrieta. You have a lead on any inexpensive gunite or plaster guys?

stever said:
n8scstm said:

n8scstm said:
I live in Riverside County Ca. Riverside rivals Phoenix in the foreclosure department.

edit: Stever, just looked at your sig. This equipment actually came out of fallbrook, right by you. I'm in Murrieta. You have a lead on any inexpensive gunite or plaster guys?

Yeah -- no accusations here -- just thought it was funny.

Glad to have you as a neighbor! I used North County Gunnite. I don't know how they compare price-wise (as they were part of the pooll 'package') but they were very professional and did a great job. I recommended them to a friend who needed work (non-pool related) after the fires and they did well for him as well.

I hope it helps! Good luck!

Steve

n8scstm I tried to send you a private message but it did not got thru.
Not sure this is of interest to you but I have a 300w pentair light with 80 ft of cord for sale. It was installed 2 mths ago and is in excellent condition. I also have the 4 light covers (blue, green, yellow, red) for sale. The light is over $200 new and the covers are $47 new . I will accept $150 for all plus shipping or best offer. :cheers:

Is this thread still alive? I recognize that equipment set, and I am able to figure out what part of the country you are in (although I'll never tell :cool: ).

How about an update on the build? PM me if you need any help as well (you got a great deal on all first class equipment, BTW!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.