Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Pool Project

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Pool Project

Watch the live pan/tilt/ zoom webcam of my project here:
    http://n8scstm.no-ip.info/
    username is "user" and there is no password. Must use IE and let the activeX install when it asks.

Here is the basic design so far. I'll update my project as I go; I'm sub'ing it out myself, and have a goal of getting this done for under $20,000 which a lot of people laugh at and tell me I'm crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: DIY Pool Project

What size is it? How deep?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are the dims.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Just a WAG on my part but I'd think 20k may be difficult. That a fairly large sized pool....very nice, too.

We absolutely love pool builds so we all hope you'll share some pics as you progress.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

5. Back To Top    #5

I like a challenge

***POST RESERVED FOR RUNNING COST TALLIES***
    GRAND TOTAL TO DATE $20,181.92

POOL EQUIP. $1,000.00
    JANDY 2 SPEED PUMP $509.05
    JANDY 2 SPEED RELAY $80.90
    ENGINEERING $268.55
    PERMIT $364.18
    POOL/SPA FITTINGS $273.84
    LIGHT TRANSFORMER $76.10
    LIGHTS/WATERFALLS/BACKWASH VALVE $2,171.55
    SKIMMER AND JANDY FILTER $166.22
    2X NAT GAS HEAT LAMPS $376.78
    DIG $2,370.00
    REBAR $1,900.00
    PLUMBING SUPPLIES $997.95
    "TOOL RENTAL, DITCH WITCH,
    HAMMER DRILL, JACK HAMMER" $241.07
    GUNITE $5,850.00
    GAS LINE $965.00
    STONE $926.33
    block/ cement, rebar for retaining wall $186.99
    misc plumbing and electrical $339.97
    firepit block and mortar $244.43
    chemical test kit $93.35
    tfp lifetime membership $30.00
    TOTAL $19,432.26

TOOLS
    Makita DCP7311 $326.25
    3 pack diamond blades $216.41
    trench shovel, flat shovel, pick $87.00
    wheel barrow, hoe, rebar cutters $120.00
    TOTAL $749.66
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Purchased some slightly used (4 years or so) equipment off of Craigslist. Nice system, 1 hp filter pump, plus a 1.5 hp spa jet booster, both sta-rite. Jandy Aqualink RS with 7 high voltage relays. Jandy One-Touch indoor control panel. cleva-chlor dual cell chlorine gernerator, 400k btu RayPak Digital Heater, 2 Jandy valve actuators, large DE filter and a pool vacuum cleaner w/ hose. Cost $1,000.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought this Jandy PlusHP 2 HP Dual Speed Pump to run the filtration and jets. I also got the 2-speed relay for the aqualink RS. I'm going to use the 1.5HP pump that I already have for the waterfalls and sell the 1HP pump.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is my budget to get this done for under 20k.
    BUDGET
    EQUIPMENT USED $3,000.00
    ENGINEERING SUB $200.00
    PERMITS CITY $500.00
    EXCAVATION SUB $2,280.00
    PLUMBING SELF $500.00
    ELECTRICAL SELF $300.00
    REBAR SUB $1,900.00
    GUNITE SUB $5,900.00
    COPING SUB $1,300.00
    TILE SELF $500.00
    STONE WORK SELF $1,000.00
    CONCRETE SUB $1,500.00
    PLASTER SUB $2,500.00
    $21,544.25
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

n8,

Doing all that masonry work yourself, you have a good shot at it. I think. I did all mine and it was tedious and very, very labor intensive but I certainly saved some money.

I did see one gaping error in your budget........

BREWSKI's consumed during all SELF phases = $12,000 (plus or minus depending on outside temperature)
    Dave S. - Forum owner

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, How did I miss that? Actually, I can't count the beer because that is going to be consumed regardless of the pool construction, it's a normal routine. LOL. I tiled the entire first floor of my house, over 1000 sq. ft. in a diamond patern, lots of cuts and I think it came out nice. So I don't think this can be much more difficult. One course of tile all the way around and some fast-stack stone on the back wall, seal it and I'm done. I'm actually more worried about the plumbing and wiring the lights than anything. Seems easy enough since the equipment is already plumbed but I hope there is nothing special that I need to know regarding the skimmer, drains, jets, etc. I'll do plenty of research before I get that far along. And I'm thinking about going with 12v LED's to make the lighting wiring easier. Any thoughts on those? I dont need lots of light, it's more for asthetics.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

The plumbing is not too bad. Once you get a basic understanding of the layout, it's pretty much glueing pvc. There are few penetrations in the shell and the skimmers are held in position with the rebar so you simply plumb pipe to each one.

I thought about 12v lighting as well but I really needed pretty adequate lights so went with 120v. Much like the plumbing, you position the niche within the shell and then plumb plastic conduit up to it. Couple of small waterproofing tips to make sure it meets code and you're good to go. Bonding of the rebar and ladders, rails, etc. is easily overlooked during the electrical and sometimes not even electricians understand it well.

There's lot's of folks here on the forum who have experience in all these areas.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

12. Back To Top    #12

Quotes starting to come in. Got the gunite and rebar quotes today. Both slightly higher than budgeted for so I've got some work to do in order to shave this back down to 20k.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by n8scstm
    Purchased some slightly used (4 years or so) equipment off of Craigslist. Nice system, 1 hp filter pump, plus a 1.5 hp spa jet booster, both sta-rite. Jandy Aqualink RS with 7 high voltage relays. Jandy One-Touch indoor control panel. cleva-chlor dual cell chlorine gernerator, 400k btu RayPak Digital Heater, 2 Jandy valve actuators, large DE filter and a pool vacuum cleaner w/ hose. Cost $1,000.
    Hmmm. Who gets rid of used (4 yr old) equipment? Usually it's only replaced when it is all used up. Maybe you need to talk with PHXAZ and give them their equipment back!

my-re-plum-equipment-move-project-t10744.html
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by stever
    Hmmm. Who gets rid of used (4 yr old) equipment? Usually it's only replaced when it is all used up. Maybe you need to talk with PHXAZ and give them their equipment back!

Around here, we have a lot of backyard pools....and in the last 5 years or so we have seen an influx of immigrants from various parts of the worlds who do not partake in the idea of personal suburban swimming pools....For example, behind my friends house....the homeowners put in the exact same pool as us, the summer after us. They lived there one more year and then, divorce. House goes up for sale. Pool sits "closed" for two full summers, house is bought by a middle-eastern family who apparently didn't want the pool, and they tore it down. Equipment basically 2 years used....

I can think of several similar situations in our subdivision, where newer pools were taken down.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi n8scstm and welcome to the forum!

Actually, I can't count the beer because that is going to be consumed regardless of the pool construction, it's a normal routine. LOL.

stever, Too funny! That took some reading and some conflagualation* on your part to put that together!
    *and I mean that in the fun way
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

I live in Riverside County Ca. Riverside rivals Phoenix in the foreclosure department.

edit: Stever, just looked at your sig. This equipment actually came out of fallbrook, right by you. I'm in Murrieta. You have a lead on any inexpensive gunite or plaster guys?

Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

17. Back To Top    #17

I live in Riverside County Ca. Riverside rivals Phoenix in the foreclosure department.

edit: Stever, just looked at your sig. This equipment actually came out of fallbrook, right by you. I'm in Murrieta. You have a lead on any inexpensive gunite or plaster guys?
    Yeah -- no accusations here -- just thought it was funny.

Glad to have you as a neighbor! I used North County Gunnite. I don't know how they compare price-wise (as they were part of the pooll 'package') but they were very professional and did a great job. I recommended them to a friend who needed work (non-pool related) after the fires and they did well for him as well.

I hope it helps! Good luck!

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

18. Back To Top    #18

Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

19. Back To Top    #19

n8scstm I tried to send you a private message but it did not got thru.
    Not sure this is of interest to you but I have a 300w pentair light with 80 ft of cord for sale. It was installed 2 mths ago and is in excellent condition. I also have the 4 light covers (blue, green, yellow, red) for sale. The light is over $200 new and the covers are $47 new . I will accept $150 for all plus shipping or best offer.
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

20. Back To Top    #20

Is this thread still alive? I recognize that equipment set, and I am able to figure out what part of the country you are in (although I'll never tell ).

How about an update on the build? PM me if you need any help as well (you got a great deal on all first class equipment, BTW!).

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast