Algae Trouble with SWG

I am having the same problem. My chlorine tests low but according to the parameters that came with the salt water system, it is supposed to be low. The only way I can keep the water blue is by adding chlorine, and a lot of it. They told me at the store that if the salt water system was not working, the red light would come on and it's not on. Also, I tested the salt and that was a bit on the low side. Should I add salt? The store tells me I never have to add salt. Also, it turns green literally before my eyes. In an hour it will go from blue to green. I added a gallon of liquid chlorine yesterday and within an hour it was back to blue. Of course now the chlorine tests high because I just added a bunch. All my other numbers tested within the limits. So my questions are how do I know if the system is to blame, and should I add salt?

All my other numbers tested within the limits.
Unfortunately that really doesn't tell us anything, if you could post a full set of test results and what kit you are using to obtain those results we may be able to help you identify the problem. Please keep in mind that our advice and that of the pool store will almost always be different, you will not be able to follow both at the same time or you will be spinning your wheels.

Echoing what Donldson said, you have to pick what advice to follow. There are going to be conflicts between different sources.

The pool store employee is ill informed or ignorant of the facts.

While we do need accurate test results from one of our recommended test kits (not pool store testing), just from what you have said I understand and your problem. You have algae in the water. You know it, you see it, now you have to fix it.

The SWCG is designed to supply adequate amounts of chlorine to keep a clean pool clean. It was never designed to supply the amount of chlorine necessary to clear up an algae bloom. You will need to follow the SLAM procedure, but we can discuss that once you check back in with test results.

As to your salt level - You will always need to add salt. It's a fact, count on it. Every time you swim and get out of the water you take salt with you. Kids splashing water out of the pool, there goes more salt. Got a lot of rain and need to,drain down the pool a little, salt goes with it. Get the picture? You may not to add much, nor may you need to add often. But, you will add.

Turn up the SWG high and run your pump for 24 hrs every day. When it is hot and used by swimmers it needs more time to generate chlorine. Most people don't run pumps long enough. When the water get cold you can turn down pump time way down. Don't spare it in summer.

Turn up the SWG high and run your pump for 24 hrs every day. When it is hot and used by swimmers it needs more time to generate chlorine. Most people don't run pumps long enough. When the water get cold you can turn down pump time way down. Don't spare it in summer.
Actually very few, if any SWG pools need to be run at 100% 24/7 unless the cell is undersized for the pool. Running 100% 24/7 is actually a recipe to shorten the life of the cell.

The basis of TFPC is accurate testing and adding only what the pool needs, including chlorine.

But, I will admit that not enough people take swimmer load and weather into consideration for proactive chlorination.

I run my pump 9 hrs a day, and the pool is perfectly sanitized. I also run the pump when people are in the pool during the "off" hours. I agree with what's been said. Sounds like you are just keeping an algae bloom at bay, but you are very borderline. Run a full test, and post the results. It really does tell you a lot. And oh yeah, you do need to add salt once in a while. For me over a summer season of the pool being opened, I might add 1 or 2 bags. I have to add a few usually when I first open it each season due to winter draw down...

My pool is a week old now and I'm still learning too. My numbers are lookin better every day. I am running my pump 24/7 now to get things right, mostly on low speed. My CYA should be coming up to decent numbers too. My chlorine is running high, 8.5 this morning. I'm currently running at 40%. I need to it get down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.