Leak in tubing from acid pump to pool PVC

MCarr

Aug 29, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Just noticed a leak in the black rubber tubing that runs from my acid pump to the PVC pipe in the pump area. I have Pool pilot SWG and chemical/acid control system. When the acid pump is called upon due to increasing pH it will deliver the diluted muriatic acid along an 8 foot length of narrow black rubber tubing from the pump to a portion of the PVC that returns water to the pool. Noticed pin hole leak in tubing spraying acid into back corner of the pool equipment area. I am not sure how long this has been going on as I only recently took over pool care and stopped having a pool service. It looks like the area where it has been leaking is making the paint peel off the section of the upper and lower filter cartridge housing where they come together and it appears to have sprayed against the bricks on the house and surrounding ground/pine needles that are in the area. Should I neutralize this with baking soda or borax? Should I mix the them in a bucket with some water and then dump over the area? Any suggestions on proportions of baking soda/borax to water? Should I dig the dirt out of the area and replace with different fresh dirt? Does anyone know where I can get new tubing to replace the defective tubing? Right now I just put duct tape over it. Thanks for any help!

The first thing you may want to consider is turning off or by-passing the pH acid flow option. This may be a manual that applies to your unit: https://autopilot.com/images/pdfs/totalcontrol_manual.pdf. Page 35 has acid specific set-up instructions. Troubleshooting starts on page 44. Page 17 indicates an 8’ (2.7 m) 1/8” ID x ¼” OD tubing. Does that sound about right? I would think you could get that at most local hardware stores. If not, certain order from the company directly. By now hopefully any residual acid has already been absorbed or evaporated. If you have a puddle, yes, baking soda will work. You may want to wear eye protection though in case it bubbles or reacts to the baking soda. Anything already sprayed is either exceptionally clean or possibly shows signs of erosion. Perhaps rinse everything down real well with water. But I would try to turn-off that function until your can replace the tubing. Don't rely on the duct tape to hold that acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.