Piping length to and from pump.

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
Quick question. Does the pipe length need to be the same on each side of the pump for best efficiency and smoothest operation?

Can anyone suggest a good quiet efficient 1hp 2 speed 220 volt pump? I'm thinking of putting it on a 200 sf Waterways Clearwater2 cartridge filter. The one that comes with it is 110 volts and I need a 220. thanks

AG pool, but I was told I could use an inground pump. The pool I'm buying comes with a 1.5hp 2 speed w/filter system, but they are 110 volts. I want to try and stay with that filter system and just replace the pump. I don't know how much they will let me change out and omit parts of the pool package. The fact that it's a good price (pump/filter system)is swaying my decision as well. So if I could keep the filter and change the pump, it would work.

I called Waterways and they said an SVL56 pump wopuld work on that filter cartridge. But now I'm wondering if I should/could go with another brand. It never ends. I can't wait until all this is overwith.

It does end, doesn't it?

Oh, I was also told that an IG pump would need to be smaller than an AG pump. So would even a 1hp IG pump be too large for an 8200 gallon (18' round) AG pool. Keeping in mind that it would be 2-speed.

I'm just trying to match the voltage to the Autopilot digital total control system that is being installed on it. I'm looking at the 220 volt model, so I need the 220 pump as well. If I go with 110 on the Pilot, then I may be pushing the amperage, correct? Also, it's generally better to go with 220.

Yes, it is generally better to go with a 220 volt pump. However, that makes the largest difference with a large pump. For an above ground pool you have a fairly small pump. With a small pump, it doesn't end up making very much of a difference what voltage your run it at (unless the pump is very very far from the main breaker panel).

The AutoPilot is convertible between 110 and 220. It is equally happy either way.

Depending on the pump, a 110 volt pump plus the AutoPilot might be a little much for a 15 amp circuit, though many pumps would be fine. Even a rather large above ground pump ought to be fine with the AutoPilot on a 20 amp circuit.

It would be on a 20 amp circuit. OK Maybe I could keep the 1.5 hp 2 speed. It IS a great price considering...

The other issue I had was the pump has a switch on it for the high and low speed. I was told it needs to be reconfigured to allow the pilot to control it or I could just connect it as "single speed" pump and toggle it myself. I wanted to avoid doing that. But I guess you can't have everything. Just doing my best to research. thank you!

I did consider the Intelliflo VF pump, but was told that is way overkill. I actually wanted to use it as a timer as well, since I won't be controlling anything except for the pilot and pool filter . Good times. lol

There are a large number of ways to connect an AutoPilot Digital to a two speed pump. Personally, I much prefer to have the AutoPilot think that it is a one speed pump and manually control the speed myself. Generally you leave it on low speed, and only turn it up to high speed when you are vacuuming or doing something else special.

Yes, when given those choices, I too, was leaning in that direction.

Since the costs of the Autopilot and other stuff is adding up, I may just stick with the lower priced filter/pump combo and live with that for now and see how things go. I'm sure I'll be happy with the setup. Looks like a 110volt Autopilot it is.

BUT... ahhhh forget it! lol. thanks for the help. It does ease my mind a bit, now that it's more concrete. Now where's my credit card? haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.