storing pool supplies in Phoenix

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
We're trying to decide on a 5' x 2' Rubbermaid shed for pool supplies or a 4' x 5' or so Resin Suncast shed if we feel we can make it work on the side of our house. the 4' x 5's are starting at $600 and the 5' x 2' is $200 on sale, although, I don't want $ to be the only factor here. Ideally, I'd like to hang our vac hose on the side of the east side of our house, but I wonder about the sun hitting it in the morning til noon. How quickly would it break down? Phx sun and plastic don't mix. I"m thinking it's better in the shed. I'm not sure if they make hooks that can be placed inside those plastic sheds. Does anyone know if that's possible and/or how/where do you hang your hose (especially if you're in Phoenix/Tucson)? I'm thinking in a 5 x 2 it might be tight, but I could prob fit our salt, DE, muratic acid, 3 umbrellas, and hose. we also have some pool toys that we'd like to try to get in there if possible. ideas or photos for the smaller sheds and where you keep your supplies would be greatly appreciated! thx!

Hello. I can't answer the questions on the shed sizes because I have a garage.

I'm sure they do make things specific for hanging items in the plastic sheds, but I'm thinking you could probably use something like the Command Strips to hang the hoses from. You might have to put a string or rope around the hose to hang it by, but those things are really sturdy. I'm not sure if the heat will cause them to come lose, but it might be worth a shot. I'd think the command strips would stay better than one of those suction cup type things would?

Also on the umbrellas if they have metal on them you might not want to store them with the MA or CL because it might interact with the metal. I'm not sure if there are any issues with the salt and DE being stored with the MA, but I do know you can't store MA and chlorine together because it can blow up. Hopefully someone will come along and let you know on that for sure, but it might be advisable just to get a separate plastic tote and store the MA by itself so you don't have to worry about any possible interactions. I hope this helps. Have a nice night.

crackerjack4u, wow, i never would've thought about MA interacting with the metal on the umbrellas with the MA in the bottle but i guess the MA and chorine r in bottles and r not meant to be kept together. i guess it's if some spilled on the outside? i'll look forward to other posts. thx much!!

You're very welcome. It has to do with the fumes and the gas they put off. The chlorine will also do it to the metal because of the gas it puts off so the 2 gasing together is Not a good thing. My motto is safety first, Always. :)

Here's a couple of interesting links:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/17260-What-pool-chemicals-should-not-be-stored-together

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/86587-Storing-muriatic-acid-in-the-garage-RUST

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/5704-Storing-Chemicals

Have a nice night. :)

I live in Tempe, and I have this product which I purchased locally at Costco, but which is also available online:
Lifetime Horizontal Shed
I have only had this for about 6 months now, but it is doing just great so far. I was also concerned about Phoenix sun, and I have several friends that had the Rubbermaid sheds, and they quickly warped and fell apart. So I knew when I got mine, I didn't want a Rubbermaid.

So if you weren't interested in the shed I linked, and you want to stick with the two you mentioned, IMO, I would only consider the Suncast one of your two choices. (FYI, SUncast also makes other size sheds, and you can find them online)

As for hooks, I would just use any old Hook that had screw holes on it, and I would use some large diameter, but short screws, something like #10 or #12 by 3/4" long screws, and just screw the hooks to the plastic. You actually assemble the sheds with similar screws actually, so why not also some hooks? Just be super careful and don't over torque the screws. Using a hand screw driver would be safest.

Additionally, both Lifetime and Suncast have hook/shelves/brackets that can be purchased, you can find them online. I have not used these, I just found them on a search.

I have my bleach indoors in a small cabinet by the sliding glass door.

I have my MA out next to the pump. We built a wood shed around our equipment (no floor, no posts, just framing and roof).

Sometimes, due to sloth when unpacking the car, a bleach and a MA will end up about 10 feet apart in the garage for a few weeks. Haven't noticed anything corroding yet.

Considering I use the bleach every night, I can't imagine taking it to and from the garage every night. I guess it depends on your arrangement. Our little cabinet fits 2 or 3 gallons, and it's literally 4 seconds to grab the gallon and be at the pool side with the measuring cup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.