EvanWilliams-----New Member

So I'm going to be the nit picker today :) What is a balance pack? Sounds like some kind of diet supplement!! :)

Evaporation doesn't decrease the levels of CYA, it actually increases it ppm wise. Evap is just water going away. That causes the stuff in the pool to be MORE concentrated. When you replace the water, it goes back to what is was before the evaporation. Splashout, draining, backwashing and bathing suits will help to lower CYA and other chems too.
Now, we have backwashed several times as we had a filter problem (replaced the old panel) and had plenty of splashing with a bunch of kids over the summer. So, we lost volume. Volume replaced out of garden hose. :D
Balance pak is what bioguard calls NaHCO3- or baking soda.
I wasn't going to get my water tested without buying something from them.

Pool Stores also sell a 10-12% Liquid Shock that you can purchase while there so you don't feel bad getting them to test without a purchase. The baking soda in the Balance Pak may raise your TA which can raise your pH some and if the TA gets too high, it can cause your pH levels to fluctuate wildly forcing you to have to adjust both of them often. So I'd recommend buying Liquid Shock Only while there to prevent any level issues in your pool. Have a wonderful Day.

Pool Stores also sell a 10-12% Liquid Shock that you can purchase while there so you don't feel bad getting them to test without a purchase. The baking soda in the Balance Pak may raise your TA which can raise your pH some and if the TA gets too high, it can cause your pH levels to fluctuate wildly forcing you to have to adjust both of them often. So I'd recommend buying Liquid Shock Only while there to prevent any level issues in your pool. Have a wonderful Day.

Soon, I hope not to need them.
I found Arm and Hammer NaHC03- 13 lbs for 5 or 6 bucks at Sam's club.
Bleach----I'm learning here. Date codes etc.
And I guess the other thing is Borax. Which I have seen at Wally World.
ETA: DING!!!!!! Buffering Capacity was the concept I was searching for!!!!
since reading here I sort of have the pool chemistry as 3 way controls.
Ph---Cleaning----Buffering.

But it all hasn't clicked. Gotta keep reading. This site is huge. :cool:

ETA: Thanks for the TA info---I'm mulling it about in my head. General chemistry was 1989 for me.

Last edited:
Wow what a good deal on the Baking Soda.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on things, and once your test kit arrives things will be become a lot clearer, and easier to figure out.

LOL I agree on the site being huge. There is so much interesting, and informative information within ALL those 1000's of threads. I can get lost for hours just reading, and learning all the things this site has to teach me.

It has certainly been a huge Confused burden lifted off my shoulders by finding this site, as I'm sure it will be yours as well. It hasn't just allowed me to learn what needs to be done to properly maintain my pool, but also Why this chemical, or that one being added does what it does.

It seems once you have that AH Ha moment then it's all smooth sailing, and a clean, properly leveled pool, from there. We're all here to help you when needed, so just know you're not alone, we'll be with your every step of the way. You're doing an awesome job figuring it all out already. Have a wonderful day. :)

The best way I was able to learn was to read every thread I had time for. Most of them were PROBLEM followed by SOLUTIONS with link to areas that were helpful. I found that even if I did not have THAT problem I still learned something.

We are here for you every step of the way.

Kim

EvanWilliams said:
My water is clear now. It looks good. Because
1. I read stuff here.
2. Fired pool service.
3. Had to go to pool store but tried to be smart. I would buy muriatic acid from them and chlorinating liquid as well as balance pak.
4. I stopped using chlorine tabs. Got my CYA down to 40-50 over time by simply replacing water that had evaporated.
So, now got a test kit ordered. Have some Baking soda. Have some Liquid chlorine. Have muriatic acid.

My old pool service just threw in metric tons of tabs and "shock" (I even know that goes in air quotes!!!! ) and eventually my CYA was through the roof.

Thank y'all
Texas Splash said:
You cracked the code! Good for you.

You are definitely a quick learner!