TFP ideal fc level vs test kit ideal fc level

Sep 2, 2015
thailand
My saku ph &cl test kit model dv-3025 shows the ideal CL level (i am assuming they mean FC level) to be in the 0.6 - 1.5 range. Yet this forum says my FC level should start at minimum of 2 with a target of 3 given my low CYA level.
Mother in law thinks I'm trying to poison her grandkids. As their swimsuits smell like bleach at FC 3.
Can an experienced forum member assure me that I'm not poisoning her grandkids?

Last edited:
What is your CYA level?
That tester is most likely giving TC which is a combination of FC and CC But you don't know which is dominant. FC is a clean bleach smell CC bring a harsh smell. That is an over simplification but appropriate for this point in the conversation.
You really need to find a tester that give FC and CC separately. And CYA test also.
If you are running NO CYA then you need to be down where the testkit recommends. Our standards assume a CYA of at least 40. Even for indoor pools.

You are not poisoning them but if your CYA is 0 then you are running closer to SLAM level. It is still safe to swim, just a little hard on suits and stuff like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Now for the question list:
How are you chlorinating the pool?
What other stuff have you put in there?
What testkit do you have?
How does the water look?

What is your CYA level?
That tester is most likely giving TC which is a combination of FC and CC But you don't know which is dominant. FC is a clean bleach smell CC bring a harsh smell. That is an over simplification but appropriate for this point in the conversation.
You really need to find a tester that give FC and CC separately. And CYA test also.
If you are running NO CYA then you need to be down where the testkit recommends. Our standards assume a CYA of at least 40. Even for indoor pools.

You are not poisoning them but if your CYA is 0 then you are running closer to SLAM level. It is still safe to swim, just a little hard on suits and stuff like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Now for the question list:
How are you chlorinating the pool?
What other stuff have you put in there?
What testkit do you have?
How does the water look?

Thanks Pabeater.I actually responded a few days earlier with an extensive reply as the insight of your post was very helpful. But I hit the wrong button and lost it. But at this point the pool is clear running smoothly. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.