How fast can a heat exchanger corrode?

Sep 5, 2015
Newington, CT
I have had my pool for 3 months. It has been leaking for probably about a month, and when the pool company came to fix it they told me the heat exchanger was corroded and that it wasn't covered under warranty because it was from low pH. I have checked my pH almost every week and it has only once been low, probably for not more than a week. He is charging me $500 for a new heater and I don't believe that I should have to pay for this when I paid $3000 for the heater only a few months ago. Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable or not?

Hi Kedelson,
welcome to TFP.

Man, manufacturers and pool companies will use about any excuse not to honor their warranty. I have heard of a few occasions similar to yours, where the manufacturer want a record of all the testing since forever to even consider honoring warranty.

Im afraid I dont know how long it would take a chemistry problem to corrode the pipes. Maybe someone else will come along who has more knowledge about that than I do.

Man, manufacturers and pool companies will use about any excuse not to honor their warranty. I have heard of a few occasions similar to yours, where the manufacturer want a record of all the testing since forever to even consider honoring warranty.

This is so true. And if you do show them a sheet of all your own measurements, they won't accept them. They will tell you that they only accept records from pool store testing or from a licensed pool service company.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.