New pool build in Prosper, TX - looking for advice on these quotes

Odin

Jul 31, 2015
Prosper, TX
I got some pool company recommendations from my home builder and narrowed the list down to 3 companies that are relatively close to the new house and have built a lot of pools in the area. Please jump in with any comments/criticisms/advice/experiences/etc.

Gold Medal pools (my home builder's top pick), Southernwind pools (based on positive things I read here), and Riverbend-Sandler pools (based on their popularity and several people we know that have one of their pools). I explained to each pool builder that I wanted a nice free form pool, spa, and water feature(s) in a "play pool" depth. I told them that I wanted to keep the entire back yard under $100K, including all of the pool stuff and landscaping and about 250' of wrought iron fencing.

I know that these quotes won't be exact comparisons since I'm going on the information provided to me, but if I'm missing some information that is required to make a comparison please ask me and I'll do my best to find out the relevant information. Hopefully some of the more experienced folks out there can give me some advice and opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Gold Medal pools quote

80 linear feet perimeter pool
414 sq ft pool surface area
12,938 gallons
3.5'x5'x4' depth
Steel reinforcement #3 steel @ 12" O.C. (tied together with pool steel)
6" frost proof tile
Interior finish Stonescapes
Coping - Tennessee flagstone
Steps/benches included
In-pool table with stone cap
6' waterfall feature with Arkansas boulder coping
30' of Arkansas boulder coping
731 sq ft of decking plus patio (approx 1493 sq ft total) khaki stone textured concrete decking
Lifetime structural warranty on gunite
Minimum 10" thick walls and floors
2 independent skimmers
4 drains
2 DBL main drain with hydrostatic relief valve (independent)
5 returns
1/2" fill line
Upsized 2.5" suction lines
Overflow
Filter - Hayward DE 60 sq ft
Pump - Hayward TriStar 2HP
Cleaner - Polaris 280
Chlorinator Rainbow 320 w/O3 Ozone system
Heater - Hayward 400,000 BTU
Pool lights (2) Savi SOL H LED

23 linear feet spa perimeter
5 or 6 Power Therapy jets
Upsized 2.5" suction line
Blower 1.5HP or 2.0HP
18" elevation
Coping - Tennessee flagstone
3' boulder spillway
Spa fountain
Spa light (1) Savi Mini Melody LED

E Command wireless controller with freezeguard

$73,576

- - - Updated - - -

Southernwind pools quote

- - - Updated - - -

Riverbend-Sandler pools quote

109 linear feet perimeter pool
665 sq ft pool surface area
22,982 gallons
3.5'x5'x4' depth
Steel reinforcement 1/2" steel @ 8" O.C. & 4" alternates in stress points
Beam to have FIVE 1/2" steel bars in continuous pool beam
6" ceramic tile 140' of coping
Interior finish River Sand
Coping - Oklahoma stone 14"
3 Steps/15 sq ft included
3 Benches/19 sq ft included
In-pool table with stone cap
24" elevated planet with (3) 24" sheer descent waterfalls
and (2) 22" diameter 30" tall OK stone columns at ends
771 sq ft of decking plus patio (approx 1492 sq ft total) deco seal tan textured concrete decking
Lifetime structural warranty on gunite
Gunite is 18"x10" beam with keyed notch for deck
Minimum 8" thick walls and floors
Coves a minimum of 10" to 12" thick
2 independent skimmers
2 safety main drains
5 returns
1/2" fill line
2" suction lines
1.5" return lines
Latro Autofill
Overflow
Filter - Jandy DE 60 sq ft
Pump - Jandy 2HP Variable Speed
2HP ProFlo Booster pump
Cleaner - In Floor system
Chlorinator Rainbow 320 w/ Del Ozone Fusion system
Heater - Jandy JXI400 400,000 BTU
Pool lights (4) Jandy LED

? linear feet spa perimeter
Arm rest, dual level benches
8 Hydro Therapy jets
2" suction lines
1.5" return lines
Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower
12" elevation
Coping - Oklahoma stone 14"
Spillway
Spa fountain
Spa light (1) Jandy LED

Jandy PDA PS6 pool/spa control system

$92,735.95

Hi Odin,
Welcome to TFP!

all of those PBs you mention enjoy pretty good reputations in the DFW area. Im sure all of them would do you a good job.

A couple of comments on the Gold quote.
I see no need for upsizing the suction lines to 2.5 inches. There is no way a 2 HP pump would can pump enough water in a normal pool context to justify any extra cost associated with that.

I might also recommend a 2 speed pump or variable speed pump instead of a single speed pump. It will save you a lot of electric costs and give you more flexibility to run your pump longer for skimming purpose without breaking the bank. Then you can bump it up on high for mixing chemicals or for whatever reason you might want to.

As for the polaris 280, that cleaner requires an additonal booster pump to run it, (plus your filter pump has to run also at the same time). Not the most efficent way of doing it. I would recommend to do a bit of reasearch on different types of cleaners as there might be others out there that would fit you better. Having said that, the 280 works great and has a long successful track record. Just offering up other possibilities.

The Rainbow 320 w/ Ozone system. Ozone is basically worthless when applied to an outdoor pool. They just dont live up to the hype.
If you choose to maintain your chlorine using the TFP method, then the Rainbow Puck Holder wont do you any good either.
A better option would be to either manually dose your pool with liquid chlorine, or incorporate an automatic liquid chlorine injection system.

The Riverbend Quote
The Variable Speed pump is a nice pump. No quarrel there.
The infloor cleaning system is a luxury and carries a luxury price tag. It would be worth considering other options, such as a robot cleaner or polaris.

Same goes for the rainbow/ozonator system quoted. They just dont cut it.

The structural items on all the quotes look Ok as far as I know. Nothing sticks out that needs any investigation.

As for the pricing, one way of doing some comparison is to divide the price by the linear feet. It sort of evens out the playing field a bit.
The Gold quote is about 920.00 / linear foot.
The Riverbend is about 850.00/ linear foot.

If you were to compare apples to apples between the two companies, you may find you get a better price from Riverbend. Of course there are lots of variables and upgrades, but worth a consideration.

I hope this helps get you started

Im sure others will be along as well with some comments!

I'm confused with this thread and another thread with the same title but with two different username owners. Or whatever you call it. Is this regarding the same pool build?

Am I the only one confused?

Suz.
(don't mind me, I live in a state of confusion!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.