Adding solar to SWG pool

kjcole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
Solon, Iowa
I'm adding solar this year (five FAFCO 4X12 panels with a Goldline solar controller). Just double checking - I should pipe the output of my solar panels to the input of the SWG cell, correct? How does this heated water affect cell performance, etc? My SWG worked beautifully last year with no algae outbreaks, constant 3 ppm chlorine at a very low cell output setting with the pump running from 9am-5pm daily, rock solid pH (thanks to the borates me-thinks). I don't want any of that to change!

Kelly

It really does not matter if the solar is before or after the SWCG. It is very important that unless you have a very small pump, to have a partial bypass around the solar heaters. Most panels should be run at about 5 to 6 gpm each. So in your case the bank should have a flow of about 25 to 30 gpm through it. Because of this and also the way the panels work, the heated water is only slightly warmer than the unheated water.

so this partial bypass would be in addition to the 3-way valve controlled by the Goldline controller? Or could I set the actuator on the 3-way so the valve never completely shuts off the bypass even when the controller is calling for full solar?

Kelly

Thanks Jason.

My concern is that I have a 1.5 hp pump and the panels will be rack-mounted so that they are just a few feet above the pump - so I'm not driving the water very high. I'm figuring that I'll have to set the valve for considerable bypass even when the controller is calling for full solar. Short of plumbing in a flow-meter, what's the best way of setting the valve for the best flow through the bank of panels?

Kelly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.