Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need some opinions on my new SWG.

1. Back To Top    #1

I need some opinions on my new SWG.

The intellichlor IC-40 v1.9 that replaced my almost 3 year old v1.6 has a setting that I've never seen before. I can now set the percentage of chlorine production in both pool and spa mode whereas before, it was only one setting for everything.

My pool and spa share the same water so I can't imagine the need for different settings for each mode in my application. I'd appreciate any insight that you may have regarding this.

If it matters, the default setting when I first turned on the SWG was 60% for the pool and 2% for the spa. I kind of wondered why that was so far apart too.

Thanks,
    Jim
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need some opinions on my new SWG.

When you are running in spa mode, all of the water is going to and from the spa, nothing is going into the pool. When you switch back to spillover mode, water is shared with the pool.

If you have the SWG running at 60% in spa mode it will be producing way to much chlorine for the small volume of water that is in the spa. Even over the relatively short periods that you operate in spa mode, presumably while you are in the spa, that can be too much chlorine and cause problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I need some opinions on my new SWG.

Thanks Jason,

That makes a lot of sense. I kind of figured that might be the case. Oh Boy! Now I have something else to play with and learn about. I'll have to do lots more testing and adjusting. Duraleigh will love it when I have to get refills for my test kit.
    12170 Gallon in ground San Juan Caesar's Palace fiberglass with integral Spa in a screened enclosure. 1 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump with Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 sand filter. Intellichlor IC40 with EasyTouch wireless remote. Aquacal Heatwave Heat Pump. Taylor K-2006 and Aquachek Salt test strips.