Is this filter big enough?

I've been doing some homework on your question, and I believe that the answer is not just a simple as looking at one variable (i.e. sq ft, or pool volume). Other factors such as the pump's GPM flow rate, head loss, additional water uses (i.e. waterfall, etc) can have an effect on the entire configuration of your equipment, to include filter size.

There are several TFP threads that point to a filter size in excess of 400 sq ft as you noted. But you may want to read this page Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? [Archive] - Trouble Free Pool that was put together by our experts some time ago. It contains great info. But one common theme holds true - it is quite common to install a filter slightly larger than required to increase efficiency and help reduce maintenance/cleaning times. It doesn't mean a smaller or original PB-assigned filter won't work as well. I myself have a 16x40, 18K pool with a simple Hayward C12002 filter. Could it be larger? - sure. Maybe if I knew then what I know now it would, but I suspect that with regular vacuuming I would probably still rinse it out just as much. With TFP-clear water, my filter holds quite well too.

Not sure if I really helped you as you had hoped, but perhaps after this reply some other folks will chime-in with some more input.

You can go to the Hayward website and find the pump curve for that model. Using a head loss of around 50 (that suits most pools) you can then find your gpm of that particular pump.....say, maybe 88 gpm (just making an example)

Then look for a filter that the gpm rating is around 25% in excess of that number....in this case 110 GPM and then get a filter rated at that or a little more.

For a cartridge filter, bigger is better. The only reason you need to worry about flow rates is if you are trying to use a large pump with a questionably small filter.

For a 17k gallon pool in FL, I would want a minimum of 250 sqft. So 175 sqft is not much on the small side.

For a cartridge filter, bigger is better. The only reason you need to worry about flow rates is if you are trying to use a large pump with a questionably small filter.

For a 17k gallon pool in FL, I would want a minimum of 250 sqft. So 175 sqft is not much on the small side.

Am I reading this chart right? If so, the biggest residential filter on this model Hayward is 200 sqft???

The larger the cartridge filter the longer the cycles between cleaning. Hayward makes a few different types with one going all the way to 700 sq Ft. The larger filter will in many cases reduce running pressure and increase flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.