Algae Dust, but possibly dirt, using a filter bag?

Cain

Aug 27, 2015
West Fargo, ND
Alright, I have been working my pool issues and am getting pretty good at this lol but I have one area that seems to just frustrate me right now because I think I am approaching it wrong.

Basically, in the pool I get these areas that settled at the bottom that looks kind of like algae, but my tests come back looking fine.

So it makes me wonder if what i am seeing is actually that, algae.

reading some posts on here, it appears that this could actually be an issue with the filter letting stuff back into the pool. A possible solution like this is what I am wondering about:

pool dust solved, A thanks will do! - Swimming Pool Help

Now, I don't have a skimmer so a skimmer sock right now is out of the question (I am looking to buy one for next year start up).

But, could this actually be what i am seeing versus actual algae at this point?

And if so, I have one of these for my return:

Casey-ReturnEyeball.jpg

how can I rig something at that point of the pool?

Based on your size/type of pool, I'm not so sure I would modify the return eyeball. You need that eyeball for good circulation. The fact that you have no skimmer at the moment, but plan on installing one in the future, would be a good way to go to augment existing filtration. You have a cartridge filter, but we don't know how big. If it's the stock set-up that came with the pool, it's always possible it's a bit overwhelmed. We see that fairly common.

But something you will see/hear a lot here as well is that many owners post that their "water is fine", or "levels look good", but until they share their test results with us, there may actually be an algae problem. If that's the case, no amount of filtration or skimmer socks will help. It's a chemical issue at that point. So you're welcome to post your FC, CC, CYA, pH, and TA for us. We'll try to rule-out algae and give you any other suggestions we can think of. Hope that helps.

thanks, Here is what my last full set of readings were:

PH - 7.5
CYA - 15?
TA - 220
FC - 11.5
CC - 0.5 (may even be 0.0 as I can't see it, have trouble with reds, daughter told me)
Water - Clear

I'll probably do another batch of tests this weekend as I wanted to let the CYA get up to level since I added stabilizer about a week ago. I have been getting the pool to shock level though for an estimate of CYA at 40. nice and clear.

The stuff basically looks like just fine dirt. I am thinking from other posts and what I am measuring it could be just that. I'll give it a thorough vacumming and look into a skimmer and a self contained vacuum setup so I don't have to mess with the skimmer attachment stuff.

I think you have the right idea. Make sure a week has gone by then re-test and confirm your CYA. You definitely want a CYA of at least 30. Your plan to vacuum should help you assess whether it's dirt or not. If you're not loosing more than about 4 ppm of FC per day, it's probably just that - dirt or pollen. If you ever suspect you are losing too much FC, then you can always do an OCLT to rule-out algae. Your FC is actually in the higher SLAM/Shock ballpark range right now for someone with an expected CYA of 20-30. So it's perfect to do an OCLT tonight if you chose to do so while keeping it that high. Otherwise, you should be able to let it come down to your target level of about 5. Hope it works-out well for you. Have a nice weekend.

If you haven't thought of this already....even if you vacuum it might still show up again as mine currently does. It seems the dirt in my pool follows the same path every few days. I can tell mine is dirt because it collects in the same area and doesn't spread to the walls and such especially when the pump is off. That and the CYA low levels need fixed like Texas Splash mentioned. The CC level of .5 or even zero still doesn't mean you do or don't have algae...I didn't do the SLAM method thoroughly the first time and I had a little bit of algae that kept coming back even though my CC level was 0.5 or zero...and you're right, the CC test is frustrating and I settled on getting someone to shake while I added the drops via a TF 100 test kit and added drops until I saw no further change...even if it meant adding an extra drop to make sure there was no further change. Finally, if you're at the shock level and maintaining it you should see the algae turn to white and then collect in the same places probably as the dirt collects on the deep end or any type of pocket/seam. Hope this helps.

I can tell mine is dirt because it collects in the same area and doesn't spread to the walls and such especially when the pump is off.
Not necessarily. DEAD algae will do the same thing as dirt. You can only tell it's dirt when you pick it up between your thumb and finger and it is gritty. Dead algae you will not be able to pick up......it'll "poof" away like dust.

My anecdotal experience on the forum indicates it's dead algae much more than half the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.