Pool Starting to Turn Green but Levels Look Good

PumaJr

Aug 18, 2015
Austin, TX
First some pics. The plaster is a dark blue so it's not as bad as it looks at first glance but it's definitely getting there in a hurry.

673170dc8c0839e10e8e186ba2322aac.jpg

ce5b74746ba0347c97a8415c9f923d0b.jpg

This all happened in the last couple days. The pool was crystal clear before and the FC levels have not dropped below target.

FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.5
CYA 40
TA 120
CH 250

Any ideas? I'm going out of town on Monday so if a SLAM is in the cards it's going to have to wait a week. I really don't want it to turn into a swamp in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I added a gallon of bleach which brought the FC up to 8 and brushed the pool. This morning it looks the same and the FC has only dropped to 7.5. If the was an algae bloom wouldn't it have ate up a lot more chlorine? What else could it be?the water is pretty cloudy and has a slight green tint to it.

The pump pressure is 22 after a backwash. I did have a pool service out on Monday to try to clear a clogged skimmer line, which they failed at. I still have one functioning skimmer and the main drains.

It could be metals in the water. A faint orangeish tint from Iron could easily look that way against dark blue plaster. Copper algaecides can turn the water a lovely emerald green without clouding it at all. Do you have any acid? See what happens when you lower pH to 7.2. If things improve, it's metals, and you'll need a sequestrant.

I wonder if Bob is on to something-------what has been added to the pool in the last week? That includes water if any.

Are you testing with your own test kit?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

awwwwwwwwwww

any idea what they added?

Kim

To my knowledge nothing has been added other than the bleach and muratic acid has been added, unless the pool guy did something to intentionally sabotage.

Yes I am using the TF-100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay so here are what I THINK are your two options-

1. take a water sample to pool store and have them test for metals. Do NOT buy anything. Come back and tell us results.

2.SLAM your pool. Look in my siggy to see the link to how to do it.

I would test for metals to make sure. It will save you time and money if it does turn out to be metals.

Let us know what you do.

Kim

Wonderful news! Now on to 2. SLAM your pool. The MOST important part of it is the Maintain------keep the FC AT or just above the SLAM level. If you are going to be away for a few hours push it up some to make sure it dose NOT go below SLAM level.

Take a pic of your steps looking down. Take the same pic every day so we can watch for progress.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.