Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar question

1. Back To Top    #1

solar question

I have this very strange LOUD rumbling,vibrating sound ( of the pipes maybe? going up to the roof) when my pump shuts off if the solar is on. I don't really know what kind of a system it is but any insight would be appreciated.
    15000 ga irregular shape pool with spa
    pantair intelliflo 4speed variable pump
    pentair ic 40 swg
    pentair quad de filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar question

I imagine it's from the water falling back through the plumbing from the panels. Possibly a malfunctioning check valve or venting device.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: solar question

jlockw,

This is normal for the solar system. When the vacuum release opens, air enters the pipe with the water and creates turbulence which in turn makes is louder. If the vacuum release did not open, you probably would not hear anything as the water would stay in the panels.

However, if the pipes are not secured well and are rattling against the side of the house, the sound would be louder so you might want to check that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner