How to slam a new pool with no CYA?

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have a strange-ish question. We have a new pool that is finally being filled to the top but has been 75% full for several weeks and has begun turning green, etc.

If we fill it full over the weekend, how much bleach should I add to start? No chemicals of any kind have even been added yet.

Would you swim in it like that?

Just curious. We've waited this long (6 months), another weekend isn't that big of a deal, except that it's Labor Day weekend and we're off.

We could obviously run the pump once full and use chlorinating tablets to start. We're gonna be adding a SWG in a few weeks hopefully

Which test kit do you have?

- - - Updated - - -

It is usually recommended to start by getting CYA in there as soon as possible. That and some bleach, just so the algae doesn't go even more crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Target 30 ppm CYA. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze to help it dissolve.

- - - Updated - - -

Then use 30 as your CYA and then target 12ppm for your SLAM FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool Math will tell you the amount to use for the CYA and bleach based on your pool gals.

+1, Also It can take up to a week for the CYA to register so there's no need to check it again for a few days to see what it's registering. You'll have to add chlorine more often until the CYA gets up high enough to help hold it.

Liquid Stabilizer although significantly more expensive will register immediately after adding and circulating it. So the choice is yours on which to use, but as pabeader suggested above, refer to Pool math to determine how much to use of whichever one you decide on.

If you need any help calculating the amount just ask and someone we will be glad to assist you. Have a wonderful day :)

Here's a question that might become important as time goes on... You list 15,000 gals. Was that the measured amount when filled or is that the PBs estimate?
You might want to take this opportunity to do some reverse math to see if you can get a more 'true' number.

Basically, you target a certain FC keeping close track of the amount and strength of bleach you use. Then when you take your measurement after adding that amount. You tweak the gals until the numbers match.

If it were me I would start with Dichlor shock which adds both FC and CYA we know the FC will get used up very quickly by the green stuff then switch to bleach once your CYA is up to the targeted 30-40 ppm CYA range. (use math not testing to establish maximum amount of dichlor to use)

pabeader, true, but we usually don't start with a green pool with no CYA.

Nlindelldc, the downside of the trichlor is that it will dissolve much slower and it is very acidic which may through off your pH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's heartbreaking to me that your new pool, that cost you guys all that money, sat there 3/4th of the way full for several weeks with nothing added, nor anyway of circulating it. :(.

I'm just curious if there was an issue preventing the PB from filling it completely, or what was their reasoning for not completely filling it, adding stabilizer, and chlorine weeks ago?

Once you get it filled up, and the levels all stabilized in there be sure and take a picture, so we all can enjoy your new pool with you. Have a wonderful night. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.