Intex doesn't circulate surface water well

Sep 4, 2015
Ky
Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I have the same problem. Will moving the return to the end and aiming it across the pool help? I want a fountain too. Anyone know of one for Intex pools? Stupid fittings are a pain!!!!

There are many threads on our forum that discuss Intex modifications for fountains and better circulation. Here is just one of many examples: Pool water relief in an intex pool?. For most, the trickiest part is simply getting the right combination of PVC fittings to match-up with your factory fitting from the pool wall. Then you can be as simple or creative as you want. You can also use the same principle to simply add a 45 degree fitting or two to help keep water circulating a little better rather than to have a return that just points straight ahead. Just type a couple key words on the Home Page's "Search" feature, and you'll see many more examples. Hope this helps to get you started.

Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

I have the same problem. Will moving the return to the end and aiming it across the pool help? I want a fountain too. Anyone know of one for Intex pools? Stupid fittings are a pain!!!!
Welcome to the forum.

If you follow the link in my sig for the skimmer install you'll see I replaced the Intex return with a Haywood 1-1/2" return with 3/4" eyeball. This was a big improvement in circulation for the pool.

Which sand filter is it? Maybe split it into two returns, on opposite sides with 1/2" eyeballs?

It must be tough getting the water to rotate in a rectangular pool. I point my return down and to the side so I get a strong clockwise rotation starting from the bottom. I get great surface rotation.

Dom

I agree with domct203 and replace that return with a better fitting.
You'll then have an industry standard for any accessory you might want.
You can aim the eyeball towards the wall and slightly downward.
Causing a virtual whirlpool in your pool. No doubt that water is circulating.

Just look for Hayward SP1023 and SP1419D.
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here it is installed in my pool.
It will fit the standard plumbing for both Intex and Coleman(Bestway) pools.

geFqA1Kl.jpg

avixp36l.jpg

I agree with domct203 and replace that return with a better fitting.
You'll then have an industry standard for any accessory you might want.
You can aim the eyeball towards the wall and slightly downward.
Causing a virtual whirlpool in your pool. No doubt that water is circulating.

Just look for Hayward SP1023 and SP1419D.
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023 1-1/2-Inch FIP Inlet Return Fitting with Locknut and Gasket : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1419D White 3/4-Inch Opening Hydrostream Directional Flow Inlet Fitting with 1-1/2-Inch MIP Thread : Swimming Pool Safety Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here it is installed in my pool.
It will fit the standard plumbing for both Intex and Coleman(Bestway) pools.

geFqA1Kl.jpg

avixp36l.jpg

Did you have to do anything to modify the Hayward to mate up to the intex valve?

I had to put in a second rubber gasket. Otherwise it wouldn't tighten up enough to prevent leakage. With the second gasket, it's fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.