New and confused

I'm so glad I found this site. We got a Intex easy up pool this summer to see if we liked it and to see if we wanted to go bigger. It's an 18x48 round. It was going great for the first 2 months then a big rain system came through and the pool has been gross. I've put shock, shock, and more shock. I just put bleach in it and it seemed to get milky and we started to vacuum. But the algae is being sucked from the bottom through the filter and out the return. Please help.

Hello Mrnodurft, and Welcome to TFP:wave:,

If you don't mind when you get a chance please fill in the details for your Signature by going to the top of this page click on
Forum Actions--->General Settings
Then look to the left of your page there is a bold Heading that says MY SETTINGS in that area is the Edit Signature. Just click that and fill in your info.

Here's a link explaining the kinds of info to include. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

1)How are you testing the levels in your pool?

2)Is your filter just the standard Intex filter that is one speed and doesn't include a backwash/waste on it?

The large amounts of shock added is what is causing the cloudiness, and it's possible a lot of the cloudiness is bleached out algae.

EDIT: Here are a few more links to help explain what's going on in there.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/1-pool-school

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

My suggestion is to dump it and start over, while it is possible to clear up, your pool is small enough that dumping and starting over is a somewhat practical option. I mainly say that due to the limited swim season we have left here in Louisiana this year and clearing it with the SLAM process would significantly bite into that. I would also suggest reading the pool school link in the upper right of this page and getting one of the suggested test kits to keep from having this happen again. In addition the filters sold with these easy set pools are undersized, and I would suggest you replace it with one of the Intex sand filter combo units, these cost about $150 online, but work much better than the basic cartridge filter.

Denham springs is just outside Baton Rouge, so about 100 miles inland, climate is not that much different than yours, maybe 5-7 or so degrees warmer on average, warm enough to not have to ever close a pool, but without a heater of some type swim season is typically over by the end of Sept. We do get freezing temperatures down here, but it rarely stays below freezing for more than 12-18 hours at a time, maybe once every 5 years it will stay below freezing for 48+ hours, winter lows typically in the mid 20's, but some years we get down to the low teens.

We are draining the pool today. Suggestions on starting over? I've read to use bleach, baking soda and borax to maintain your pool instead of the chemicals from the store. Should I follow that? We are clueless. We got the flip plop when we started and the basic little test kit. What chlorine tablets/ dispenser should I use? We are looking into the sand filter.

Just chlorine and stabilizer (CYA). All the rest can be purchased if needed. Follow the FC/C?YA chart and use pool school to tell you how much to put in for your pool size.

There are lots of helpful folks here. Sometimes a little too helpful if you ask me. All well meaning, of course. If you ask for help you will get it. It is empowering though if you give it try first. Maybe, use the tools like Pool Math to get some numbers and then post them for advice...

Sounds good Mrnodurft,

Be sure when you get it empty to give it a good scrubbing to try to ensure you remove all the algae. Also when I had my Intex and needed it to be warm quickly for the kiddos or whatever, I'd add buckets of Hot water to it as the pool was filling to help warm it faster.

Also I do suggest you getting one of the recommended test kit either a TF-100, or a K-2006. (These are the only 2 kits we recommend because of their accuracy and ability to read at higher levels than other test kits), if you don't currently own one this will be the best investment you'll ever make for your pool, and your family (If you don't want to get one this year with the swim season soon ending, perhaps order it just before opening of the pool next Spring, you won't regret it).

The TF-100 can be purchased from TFtestkits http://www.tftestkits.net/ (I'm not sure my copied link is working properly, if not the TFTestkits link is also in my Signature Below).

The K-2006 can be purchased at various places online and some pool stores may also carry them.

Although your Intex is small it still requires that some bleach/chemicals be added, and your levels be maintain in there to prevent from getting algae outbreaks in the future, and to also ensure the water you are swimming in is properly sanitized to ensure bacteria is not being allowed to flourish in there which can make you and your family sick. (That's where the kits come in they can tell you your current level and then POOLMATH above (or also in my Signature Below)will calculate for you how much you need to add to keep your pool clean, clear, and safely swim ready at all times.

I hope this helps, and Have a Safe Labor Day Weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just saw your comment about the sand filter. That too would be a great investment and if you increase to a bigger pool just move the sand filter to it). The small standard Intex filters do have trouble keeping your water circulated as well as it needs to be, so if you do decide on the sand filter, I don't think you'll go wrong with that investment either.

Mrnodurft,

Welcome to TFP! The 2 best things you can do for yourself is go to Pool School (tab at the top of the home page) and purchase a TF-100 from this site. It is very little effort and $ for the reward you will receive in having a trouble free pool.

Have fun!