Is it normal for one skimmer to have stronger suction?

lvrpl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
Dallas, TX
In the pool, I've got two skimmers at opposite ends of the pool, along with a main drain (well, a pair of main drains that are right by each other). Both skimmers certainly get suction and do a good job it seems, but one skimmer definitely has a bit more suction strength than the other. Is this normal?

Depends how the plumbing was done. Certainly does not currently sound ideal. Any valves? Maybe need to adjust the float diverters under one of the skimmer baskets?

On the pad there are separate valves (one for one skimmer, one for the other skimmer, and one for the main drain). They all look like they're set to full open. And I'm not sure what float diverters are - could you explain more?

You probably don't have flow diverters since your skimmers and drain are plumbed separately back to the pump. If you want the skimmers to have the same suction it sounds like you can close the stronger skimmer valve a little bit.

My two skimmers are plumbed together on the same line back to the pump. The skimmer farther from the pump and on the opposite side of the pool from the pump, has slightly less flow/suction than the closer one does. I assume because it is sucking water a farther distance. But, both get plenty of leaves in them.

I'm thinking he means to keep the drain closed to divert more suction to the skimmers. I have a valve at the pump that controls flow between skimmer/drain and I keep it at about 80% skimmer and 20% drain because I prefer to have most of my water move through the skimmers for max leaf skimming.

On the pad there are separate valves (one for one skimmer, one for the other skimmer, and one for the main drain). They all look like they're set to full open. And I'm not sure what float diverters are - could you explain more?
You don't need them since somebody plumbed your pad well. Just put the word "float diverter" out of your mind because they won't even work in your setup.

I concur with the other suggestion. Put the main drain valve at half way. Leave the weak skimmer full open. Close the stronger skimmer until the turbulence inside the skimmer wells match. Or toss a ping pong ball or some styrofoam peanuts out in front and see that they get sucked in at the same speed on both skimmers.

The only time to have the main drain open full is when you're brushing a bunch of sediment or draining water using the pool pump. You'll have the skimmers shut then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.