No Chorine this morning

Aug 16, 2015
Branford, FL
A week or two ago, I went through the SLAM process to kill algae (green). All has appeared to be fine and we have been using the pool daily.

This morning my readings are:

FC - 0
Cl - 0
TA - 70
CH - 250
CYA - 80
Ph - 8.2 (as best as I can read)

I have added Chlorine in the form of liquid bleach as recommended by pool math.

Advise, please.

I am not sure my SWG is working properly....how do I tell?

Hello Gigi,

It sounds as though the SWG may not be doing it's job. Either from the sun depletion, high bather loads, etc. The only way to tell is to set it to raise to a specific amount, and check the level to ensure it does. You may need to check levels a couple times daily and bump back up to your Target level for your current CYA. Which a CYA of 80ppm with a SWG your chlorine level needs to remain between 4-6ppm and I'd suggest Targeting slightly higher like around FC at 8ppm to ensure you don't drop below minimum.

If the SWG isn't keeping up with the chlorine demand then you'll need to add Liquid Bleach to Maintain the correct levels because the FC dropping below 4ppm, is a sure fire way of having a recurring algae issue, and we certainly don't want you to have to SLAM again. I hope this helps. Keep us posted, and have a wonderful day. :)

EDIT plus you also need to lower your pH down to around 7.4-7.6ppm because 8.2 is out of the recommended range.

I tested it a few days ago.....I think it was Sunday of last week (8/29)....should I be testing daily? Learning curve here is steep...but you guys make it so much simpler...and Thanks!!

Sunday's results were

FC 8.5
TA - 100
CYA 60

Someone else tested and didn't do Cl, Ch or Ph. I also find that CYA is a bit subjective dependent upon who is reading the level.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Gigi,

It sounds as though the SWG may not be doing it's job. Either from the sun depletion, high bather loads, etc. The only way to tell is to set it to raise to a specific amount, and check the level to ensure it does. You may need to check levels a couple times daily and bump back up to your Target level for your current CYA. Which a CYA of 80ppm with a SWG your chlorine level needs to remain between 4-6ppm and I'd suggest Targeting slightly higher like around FC at 8ppm to ensure you don't drop below minimum.

If the SWG isn't keep up with the chlorine demand then you'll need to add Liquid Bleach to Maintain the correct levels because the FC dropping below 4ppm, is a sure fire way of having a recurring algae issue, and we certainly doesn't want you to have to SLAM again. I hope this helps. Keep us posted, and have a wonderful day. :)

EDIT plus you also need to lower your pH down to around 7.4-7.6ppm because 8.2 is out of the recommended range.

I don't understand about the salt water generator.....haven't messed with it much...can you give me further explanation?

I added some chlorine bleach this morning to help until I can find out what to do. Should I go ahead and add muriatic acid immediately? or do I work on one level at a time?

Hi Gigi. We definitely check FC everyday. That's the one we really need to stay on top of to avoid algae. As for your SWG, I'm not an expert on them, but others will have a troubleshooting tip or two. Do you have the manual? If not, you should be able to visit their web site for "Support" or even call them directly. Until then, please add bleach right away to keep the FC to at least 6-8 for now. We don't want your water getting ugly on us again. :) You worked too hard the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes, (post #1) pH needs to be lowered right away with acid. BE CAREFUL! Don't add bleach and acid at the same time. Do your acid first to get the pH back down to the mid-7s, then monitor the FC to stay around 6-8.

The 1st thing you should do since you all are swimming daily is lower the pH to between 7.4 and 7.6ppm

Then today you need to get enough sanitation in there to be able to swim safely in it. So add enough chlorine per pool math to increase your FC level to(SInce you are unsure, I'll split the difference, and we'll say Target at 6-8 ppm for now.

With a SWG per the Chlorine/CYA chart your recommended CYA level is 70 or 80ppm, so recheck that and if it is in fact only 60ppm you'll need to add enough stabilizer later via sock method to raise it to at least 70ppm http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

If you are unsure of how to add stabilizer using the sock method or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask, we will be glad to assist. Have a wonderful day. :)

Thanks...I had already added chlorine bleach...about an hour ago...when will it be safe to add the acid now.....and then when will it be safe to swim?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I check the FC in the morning or in the evening? I can do either......

Planning a trip and will be gone for about 4-5 days...how do I ensure that I don't come home to problems again?

If using muriatic acid to lower pH, read and follow safety precautions on the container! Just pointing this out, as you talk about a steep learning curve, so it sounds like much of this is new to you. Muriatic acid requires attention, so I 'd like to make sure you are aware of that, if handling MA is new to you.

I notice in your sig you mention an external spray bar. Do you know that this will drive your pH up? So does running a SWG. Since you have both, if I were you, I would check my pH at least every other day. Probably more often until I was able to get a good handle on it.

Gigi, adding bleach an hour after the acid is fine as long as the pump was running and it's mixed real good. You can check FC or any other chemicals any time of day you wish. When you get ready to go out of town, you'll probably want to bump your FC up to SLAM level, You might even consider the temporary use of a tablet or puck or two. We can discuss that more as you get closer to leaving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should wait at least an hour between adding different chemicals, so if it's been an hour since you added the chlorine it should be safe to add the MA now to lower your pH. It will be safe to swim when your pH is within recommended range, your FC is high enough to maintain adequate sanitation to prevent bacteria.

So add the acid Now. Give it about 30 minutes to circulate check your pH, if within range do nothing else on that.

If it is not within range add enough acid per pool math to get it into range from where you are currently at.
Wait an hour while circulating, and check the level again.

Then recheck your FC level to ensure it is still between 6-8ppm from your earlier add, if not add enough chlorine to put it there, and let circulate.

Once those 2 things are done, it will be safe to swim in. They both register pretty quickly so you'll be swimming before your know it.

Just remember to wait at least an hour between adding different chemicals, and wait an hour to swim after adding any type of ACID, and you'll be fine.

Keep us posted on how your levels are doing.

I'd recommend until you can figure out exactly why the FC levels are dropping to 0 even with a SWG that you check the levels, and bump the chlorine back up to between 6-8ppm both morning and night if necessary to maintain the adequate FC level. Have a wonderful day. :)

I notice in your sig you mention an external spray bar. Do you know that this will drive your pH up? So does running a SWG. Since you have both, if I were you, I would check my pH at least every other day. Probably more often until I was able to get a good handle on it.
We use the spray bar to try to decrease the water temp and for aeration.....I had no idea it affected the pH...the water is recirculated though the pump.

Things look better today....
Unless I am overlooking something....
I added acid and bleach yesterday...and it rained last night.....
FC - 4
Cl - 3-4
pH - 7.5
CYA - 80
CH - 200
TA - 70

Does anyone see anything that jumps out of them for these readings? Thanks for your help.

Good morning Gigi,

The levels all look really good, and you did an awesome job with your adjustments yesterday. :party:

The only things I'd personally recommend is:

1)Check Your Levels Daily (in your case at least check your FC every day). Also with your pH climbing so much on you please check pH at least weekly, and adjust levels as needed).

2)Also you might want to consider raising your Target for your FC to around 7ppm or 8ppm (especially during the hot Summer because the SWGs can't always keep up with the chlorine demand that is needed), and MAINTAIN it at the 7 or 8ppm level. Raising the FC slightly above Target will give yourself a little cushion to try to help prevent it from EVER dropping below minimum for your CYA level. (so you don't risk algae growing again).

Other than those minor adjustments and more frequent level checks to attempt to prevent further issues, I'd say You've got this figured out Gigi. Well done!! Have a safe and Happy Labor Day :)

Gigi, have you read your manual on the SWG? Tell us what the settings are set at and what it is reporting.

You need to bump up the FC with bleach to make sure it doesn't fall below 4. How high did you raise the FC last time?

You have two issues right now, the first is the pool most likely has a low amount of algae that has not bloomed that is consuming the chlorine, and second is the SWG is not working properly.

To confirm if there is algae in the pool you need to do an OCLT and I suggest raising the FC to 10 ppm tonight and run the test. After we get this result then you will need to work on the SLAM Process if there is algae or solving the issue with the SWG.

We can not help you with the SWG if you do not supply us with the information the SWG shows, such as salinity level, run time and output % setting, etc.

Keep adding bleach everyday, do not let it drop below 6 ppm and for now target 10 ppm at each addition.

I just went to my control panel and I think my Intellchlor may have been off........I changed the setting to super chlorinate. I want to see what happens over night...and I will add bleach in the morning if the chlorine level doesn't improve...I added salt this morning....but the salt level didn't change according to the control panel....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.