Pump replumb - need temporary solution

jborders5

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just when I had finished my second pool equipment upgrade we moved to another house and I get to start over.... Everything is OK for now, but the pump bearings are starting to fail. I'd really like to replace the single speed with a two or variable and temporarily keep the existing plumbing. Any thoughts if this is possible with the limited suction side space or should I look at having the existing motor rebuilt/replaced? Thanks!

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

If you install PVC unions, you ought to be in good shape for more or less keeping your plumbing the same but you will probably need to mess with pump output to the filter a little bit. However, that line looks like it has been messed with A LOT over the years as it is the easy one to adjust for your pump plumbing.

One thing I want to mention. I see you, like millions of others including myself, used pipe nipples to connect to the pump. The threads on the pump are STRAIGHT and not tapered. Pipe nipples use a tapered thread to seal. A lot of the literature out there indicates NPT threads for the pump body. I have no idea why. I even called Pentair tech support and they confirmed STRAIGHT threads.

You'll further notice that the PVC unions that are available for pool pumps have a second o-ring on the outside (along with the normal one between the two halves) and this is to seal against the pump body. Straight threads need such a seal...tapered threads do not. The main problem is that a tapered threads fits just fine into the straight threads since they are the same pitch. Most of us probably get lucky and the tapered thread pipe nipple seals just fine (with teflon tape or pipe dope or both) but in some cases, it will not. Anyway, a little bit of education for you. I bought those exact unions I linked and while my pipe nipples are not leaking, my plan is to put those unions on some day.

Thanks guys. I only have an inch and a half clearance behind the motor, so I doubt I'll be able to separate it from the wet end still plumbed. There's about an inch of PVC between the inlet of the pump and the coupling attached to the Jandy valve. What if I cut it right at the pump, clean up remaining pvc and attach a 90 or a couple 45s and re-plumb the pump at a 90 degree angle from how it is now until I can fix everything?

It does not take much to separate, probably worth a try

If that does not work I would disconnect the electric feed, cut the top pipe then unscrew the whole pump out of the pipe fitting on the inlet side so you don't have to cut near the valve.

Two days of a slightly noisy pump turned into a seized motor this morning... The motor housing was so corroded, two of the bolts sheared off with very little force when I tried to separate it. I was able to cut it out right at the inlet and have enough room for a union. The Intelliflo was a drop-in to the old Whisperflo and it was a couple of inches shorter. I'll fix the rest of the mess this winter.

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.