Newbie - intro and a question about bubbles in a single return

rmfreeze

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Central Arkansas
Hello - let me first say thanks to this community. I'm new to pool ownership and put one in a couple of months ago (details in the signature). I found this site and spent a few hours learning as much as I could even before the pool was complete. Having a bit of a background in chemistry, I immediately took to the testing and logging. It's only logical. ;)

My question comes from my effort in tracking down a leak. When the pool was complete, the temps were in the 100* area and so adding/replacing water seemed normal. After a break in the heat and some rain fell, I started questioning the water replenishment and paying close attention to everything. The PB is involved - so I'm not alone in tracking it down but something I noticed seems odd to me. One return occasionally spits some bubbles. There are 4 total returns in the pool and 1 is dedicated to the Polaris (which gets it's feed from the pressure side of the filter - 1st T after the SWG). The other three returns are fed from 2 pipes split after the Polaris T. One jet is on it's own 2" pipe and the other 2 are split from the other 2" pipe. I hope that makes sense. The return that intermittently bubbles air is a jet from the split. The other on that split does not spit air nor does the jet that is on it's own pipe. By intermittent I mean I see them at times - observed for as much as 30 minutes at a time and then other times I don't see them at all (pump running of course). There's no air in the pump bowl and no air from other returns including the Polaris.

What would cause that? I generally think that a pressure side line would leak water out of the pipe when under pressure and not pull air in. The PB doesn't seem to know and wants to continue looking for the water leak (1/2" daily) in the liner.

It's possible it's coming from your SWG. They have been known to do that. If you're curious, maybe you could shut it down briefly to see if that changes anything. If not, make sure you rule-out everything here: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks.

Now there's a cool experiment. Never heard of that one before. By the way rmfreeze, air has a funny way of traveling. I sometimes get small champagne bubbles from 1 of my 6 returns. Only one. Not all the time either. Go figure. Good luck.

I would definitely describe these as champagne bubbles and it is the first return on one side of the split. The first (and only) jet on the other split has none. So maybe it is just how they are traveling. I didn't notice any bubbling on any of the jets for the first few weeks the pool was up and running. However, this particular jet is where I connected a misting/cooling tower to after a couple of weeks. So it could have been doing it all along and I just didn't notice.

Chuckiechan - I'll have to try that and see if any pop!

Or you could turn off your swg and see if it stops. Mine does.

Good point. I'll do that this weekend.

I am running the bucket test again with the returns and skimmer plugged off to try and isolate at least part of the plumbing. I noticed the bubbles in that single return in my effort to locate a leak. The PB was hoping it was a light fixture because a couple of screws were not real tight. That wasn't it - still losing about a 1/2-3/4" a day. They checked each seam yesterday visually over an hour or so and if last nights bucket test still shows a leak, he said they would "dive" it and spend the time necessary to scour every inch.

I really felt like it would be a seam around one of the steps or ledge. One other area could be the main drain - there are two in the pool tied into a single suction side pipe. If it were there, wouldn't it draw in air when the pumps running? Leak into the ground when not running and then suck back any water plus air when running?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.