Return Pipe Angle

Hi All

I'm currenty redoing all the pipe work on the pool. I have a quick question. If the return from the Multiport to the pool eye is of an angle to allow the water to drain out of the pipe into the pool when the pump is off, will that cause the remaining water to drain back via the filter and pump back to the pool causing it to have to prime the pump each time the pump is turned on, or will it be Ok and the water wont flow back.

I can change it easy now as I've yet to start that side of the plumbing, but dont want to over complicated it if I dont have to.

Good question. If your circulatory system is leak free, the water will stay in the filter and pump and it will prime immediately.

Getting your system completely leak-free can be a challenge but it is doable and your pump will always be primed.

Its the way it was built 40 odd years ago. The old plumbing was ok, but that was a mix of 32mm, and 40mm PVC and plastic pipe. Im replacing the skimmer and upgrading the plumbing to 50mm where posible, as the filter can only take 40mm. Im also installing solar as well while Im at it.

Im begining to think that a non return on the suction line is going to be the only way to resolve the issue, untill such time that I replace the liner and install 2 return lines below water level at the same time. (I want to move the skimmer at that time, but the budget does not allow for that as yet).

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

As long as it's a self priming pump, it should catch prime fairly quickly from water left in the pump strainer housing.

You could add a check valve between the pump and filter or after the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.