Measuring Dichlor

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
I decided to go chlorine instead of bromine.

Hope this isn't a stupid question.. But I understand I need to use Dichlor first to get CYA in the spa before switching to LC. Pool calculator says to use about 1oz to get to 8-10 FC for my 400gal tub. I am trying to determine the best way to measure how much granule equals 1oz? And is that by volume or weight? What would 1oz be in say tablespoons?

Also, this is a fresh fill after a few ahh-some treatments. I had already added 2oz of sodium bromide from Walmart before deciding against bromine. Will that be an issue at all? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can just use Dichlor as your chlorine source dosing after each soak (and in between soaks if not soaking every day or two) and the CYA will build up over time.

As for volume or weight, Dichlor density is roughly such that ounces weight is the same as ounces volume so it doesn't matter. 1 ounce volume is 2 tablespoons or 6 teaspoons.

The 2 ounces of sodium bromide will essentially turn your spa into a bromine spa. The only way to go back to chlorine would be to change the water. You could practice dosing with chlorine as if it were a chlorine spa, but technically you'll be producing bromine instead.

Thanks! I do not want to drain again so I will prob just run hybrid with bromine\floater for now with chlorine as oxidizer between soaks until next drain and refill in a few months. I am curious, is using Dichlor make sense with the bromine? I was only going to use Dichlor to get the CYA established but I am not sure how that applies to a tub with bromine. I may just stick with LC for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.